Choosing the right color scheme for your room is critical.
1. Color can be a powerful influence on emotion. It has the ability to make you feel some type of way, so pick accordingly.
From the products that we buy to the emotions we feel to the things we see, color affects e v e r y t h i n g.
2. There is a LOT of research you can read out there about how we interpret and process color. It's all very cyan-tific. 😜
Did you also know that humans perceive color differently? Particularly men and women.
A majority of both men and women in one study said that blue is their favorite color (57% and 35%, respectively). But purple, on the other hand, was more divisive. The women in this study, picked purple as their second favorite color, while none of the men surveyed picked purple as their favorite.
The least liked color for both genders — orange, yellow, and brown — were considered "cheap" or "inexpensive" by participants in another experiment.
This information can come in handy when deciding on a color scheme for your room. 🎨
3. There are three basic types of palettes: warm, mixed, and cool.
4. Love thinking of brighter, sunnier days all year round? Go for a warm set of colors.
5. Mix cool and warm tones to create a funky and artistic — yet balanced — vibe.
6. Create a tranquil den by draping your room in cooler tones.
7. Or you can create your own palette from scratch by looking at a color wheel.
8. If you're looking to create harmony, choose analogous colors, which are next to each other on the color wheel.
9. Or a monochromatic palette, which consists of different tones of the same color.
10. If you want strong contrast, go for complementary colors, which are at opposite ends of the color wheel.
11. Apps like Coolers (Free, website; $1, iOS and Android) and Color Viewfinder (Free, iOS) can help you find the exact palette you're looking for.
Coolers generates random, beautiful palettes, while Color Viewfinder can identify key color swatches from any photo.