By the third set of her quarterfinal match with American Sloane Stephens, Serena Williams was frustrated. She needed medical attention for rogue back spasms midway through the match. It hindered her game, and Serena ended up dropping that second set to Stephens, a minnow she normally would have crushed.
2. Early in the third set, Stephens is serving to go up 2-1. Perhaps sensing the match is slipping away, Serena prepares to return the serve.
3. Serena slaps a forehand back at Stephens, but the ball sails over the net.
4. The return drops well wide of the line, and Stephens barely has to move. Still, professional tennis players are supposed to hold serve. No big deal, right, Serena?
5. Her reaction:
That seems a little uncalled for.
7. Serena then tosses her mangled racket into the bench area and pouts for a while. She ends up losing the third set and the match.
8. The carnage.
9. Meanwhile, here’s your new face of American women’s tennis, Sloane Stephens.
At least until she plays No. 1 seed Victoria Azarenka, also known as the “Belarusian Buzzsaw,” in the semifinals.
- The World Health Organization says there is "no public health justification" for postponing or moving the Rio Olympics because of Zika virus.
- Never mind the $10 million: Donald Trump now says he won't debate "second place finisher" Bernie Sanders.
- No, France has not banned people from sending work emails after hours – no matter how much we all want to believe it 🇫🇷 ✉️