By the third set of her quarterfinal match with American Sloane Stephens, Serena Williams was frustrated. She needed medical attention for rogue back spasms midway through the match. It hindered her game, and Serena ended up dropping that second set to Stephens, a minnow she normally would have crushed.
2. Early in the third set, Stephens is serving to go up 2-1. Perhaps sensing the match is slipping away, Serena prepares to return the serve.
3. Serena slaps a forehand back at Stephens, but the ball sails over the net.
4. The return drops well wide of the line, and Stephens barely has to move. Still, professional tennis players are supposed to hold serve. No big deal, right, Serena?
5. Her reaction:
That seems a little uncalled for.
7. Serena then tosses her mangled racket into the bench area and pouts for a while. She ends up losing the third set and the match.
8. The carnage.
9. Meanwhile, here’s your new face of American women’s tennis, Sloane Stephens.
At least until she plays No. 1 seed Victoria Azarenka, also known as the “Belarusian Buzzsaw,” in the semifinals.
- The enemy within: Civilians are caught in the crossfire as Iraqi troops move closer to Mosul and face fears of ISIS.
- Police are investigating after someone destroyed Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk Of Fame star with a sledgehammer early Wednesday.
- Here's what European cities are offering to convince London's banks, companies, and entrepreneurs to move post-Brexit🍷🌞
- And Millie Bobby Brown — Eleven from "Stranger Things" — looks badass on her first magazine cover ✨