Chelsea and Swansea played today in the second leg of the Capital One Cup semifinals, but a bizarre feud with a ball boy was the lone highlight in a 0-0 draw.
With 10 minutes left to play and the game scoreless (but Swansea up 2-0 on aggregate after a first leg victory), Chelsea was desperate to score. During a break in play, Chelsea winger Eden Hazard scurried near the stands to collect the ball, but a defiant ball boy smothered the ball under his stomach. Hazard, presumably thinking the ball boy was intentionally time wasting to aid Swansea (and Hazard may be right), kicked the ball boy, and was given a red card.
4. Here’s the video of the whole peculiar episode.
Obviously, Hazard shouldn’t have kicked the ball boy, but new details make it plausible that the ball boy may have planned to intentionally waste time to aid Swansea.
6. The Sun is reporting that the ball boy’s name is Charlie Morgan. On what appears to be Morgan’s Twitter account, he tweeted this afternoon he would be the ball boy.
Numerous pictures tweeted from that account make it likely that it belongs to the ball boy in question. At the very least, this Charlie Morgan lives in England, has a lot of football memorabilia that a ballboy might have access to, and is a dead ringer for the kid Hazard kicked.
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- Senator Ron Wyden will soon introduce legislation requiring warrants before phones can be searched at the US border.
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat and the exchange was ~confusing~.