2. Operation Butterfly
DREAMers fighting for immigration organized to put a face on immigration reform in what was called “Operation Butterfly.” United We Dream worked to reunite DREAMers with their parents who are trapped on the other side of the border. A powerful and amazing piece of organizing that landed them front page coverage on the New York Times and helped push comprehensive immigration reform through the Senate.
3. Moral Mondays in North Carolina
When right-wing legislators targeted voting rights, women, and families across the state with extreme legislation the people fought back — flooding the capitol and engaging in civil disobedience that drew national coverage to these attacks.
Back brace and all, State Sen. Wendy Davis of Texas held the floor for 11 hours to delay an extreme piece of anti-choice legislation — creating a national moment and giving a spark to the movement for women’s rights.
9. Colorado Local Power Campaign
New Era Colorado’s campaign against Xcel energy went viral, raising almost $200,000 (with an initial goal of $40,000!) to fund their grassroots organizing around the creation of a local electric utility based on renewable energy.
10. Fast For Families
Faith, immigrant rights, and labor leaders fasted for immigration reform on the National Mall. They stayed out there every day and night, abstaining from all food — except water — to move the hearts and compassion of members of Congress to pass immigration reform with a path to citizenship.
12. No More Names
Americans across the country banded together to hold accountable the members of Congress who refused to hold a vote on background checks. The nationwide bus tour culminated with the reading of the names of the 3,300 men, women, and children who have been killed by guns since the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut.
13. Forward on Climate
The #ForwardonClimate rally against the Keystone XL pipeline brought 35,000+ people to Washington DC to pressure the President. While no action has been taken yet on Keystone, the President did release his Climate Action Plan which included the first uniform, national limits on the amount of carbon pollution a future power plant can emit.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- A vandal allegedly smashed glass, overturned benches, and tossed a Bible inside a Colorado mosque early Sunday morning.
- United Airlines stopped 3 girls from flying because they were wearing leggings. The rule applies to travelers on "company benefit travel."
- "Orange Is The New Black" actor Samira Wiley and writer Lauren Morelli officially tied the knot in Palm Springs 🌴