If You're A Cleaning Novice, These 29 Things Will Help Turn You Into An Expert
Your sparkling clean home awaits.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A broom and dustpan set with an adjustable-height handle — it's best for sweeping up the daily dirt that seems to accumulate in your kitchen throughout the day (or week...or month, depending on how often you end up using it).
2. And a handheld broom and dustpan that hook together for simple storage because sometimes you just spill a *little* bit and don't feel like pulling out the big set.
3. A telescoping microfiber flip mop, if you have wood, tile, laminate, or linoleum floors. The blue side picks up some dirt, dust, and hair (completely dry), then the white side uses just water to wipe up even more stubborn gunk.
4. A powerful but inexpensive vacuum cleaner if you have any carpet or area rugs at all and don't already own a vacuum.
5. And a carpet-freshening powder because it'll deodorize the rug in your open-to-the-kitchen living room that's absorbed several years' worth of cooking smells.
7. A fume-free oven cleaner that will erase the evidence of all those years of delicious baked goods (or, y'know, frozen pizzas and bacon) overnight.
8. Or if you want something a bit less harsh: An oven scrub cleaner made from pumice, baking soda, sodium citrate, two kinds of plant-based cleaners, and eucalyptus, peppermint, lemon, and tea tree essential oils. It may require a tad more elbow grease, but it'll still get the job 100% done.
9. A glass cooktop–cleaning kit packed with everything you need to shine up even the messiest burner so it gleams like it did the day you moved in.
10. A bottle of Bar Keeper's Friend because it can make so many things in your kitchen look brand new again: stained pots and pans, dull and scratched ceramic sinks, cooked-on grime on gas cooktops, tarnished shiny metal, rusty-looking stainless steel, and more.
11. A pack of three disposable drain snakes to reach deep into your pipes and pull up that slimy hair monster that's been viciously blocking your tub and sink from draining freely.
12. A bottle of no-odor gel mold-and-mildew cleaner that sticks to your tile grout and caulking, giving it the time it needs to do its job: banishing the grossness like it was never there.
13. A high-quality toilet brush because if you don't own one already...well, they're the easiest way to keep your commode from getting gross.
14. And a stamp-in gel — after your toilet's clean, this will KEEP it clean, no need to scrub on a regular basis. Just press it beneath the rim and let it do all the work.
15. Oh, and a pumice stone scrubber to tackle built-up hard water stains no toilet brush could hope to stand a chance against.
16. And once it's clean, a pack of five hydrogen peroxide–infused toilet bombs that, with regular use, completely eliminate the need to scrape with a pumice stone at all.
17. A telescoping tile brush so you can reach all the corners of your bathroom without teetering on the edge of your tub.
18. A carpet and upholstery stain remover so you can extract all kinds of dirt, rust, grease, food, and other stains that you haven't been able to get out using literally anything else.
19. A pill-removing stone because it'll work wonders to keep your favorite furniture and blankets (and clothes) looking new for years to come — just brush it over the fabric — all while barely ever wearing down itself.
20. A soft cleanser that, with very little elbow grease, will eliminate years of built-up hard water stains on tile or glass, truly transforming your shower right before your eyes.
21. A bottle of bathroom cleaner so you can scrub out every last bit of grime and soap scum from your tub and still have energy left to keep cleaning — or just enjoy life! — when you're done.
22. And if you happen to have a jetted or hot tub: a cleaner scientifically engineered to eradicate the years of grimy buildup you didn't even realize was lurking in the pipes.
23. A pack of six dishwasher tablets — running even just one will eliminate any buildup in your dishwasher *and* those stains it keeps leaving on your clean dishes.
24. A daily granite cleaner to shine up any stone countertops you happen to have around your home, because some all-purpose cleaners (and anything with vinegar in it) can etch and damage the finish.
25. An extendable microfiber duster that will help you reach your highest ceiling fans and the tops of cabinets without lugging out the ladder or pushing chairs around.
26. A bottle of Goo Gone because it's essential anytime you have to tackle mysterious sticky substances like tape residue, old stickers (including bumper stickers), glue stains, and dried bits of that slime kids love so much.
27. An all-purpose scrub because all you have to do is sprinkle it on a dull or stained surface — like your sink, tile, or even dirty dishes — then rub it around a little to reveal a polished, clean slate.
28. A finish restorer designed to eliminate heat rings, water marks, scratches, color fade, oxidation, and more from your favorite wood furniture — even on your wood kitchen cabinets.
29. A winestain remover that will make even dried, set-in spills vanish completely after just a spritz or two.
The reviews in this post have been edited for length and clarity.