* A light yellow T-shirt and light blue shorts or a skirt. We got these from Forever 21 — the top is $15.90 and the skirt was $11.90. The skirt's no longer in stock, but you can get a similar one for $5.90 here.
* Yellow ribbon (we got ours at the dollar store for $1).
* Elastic (we got ours at the dollar store for $1).
* Two pieces of craft foam. We bought a bulk pack for this project, but you can also get individual sheets for $0.99 each at Michaels.
* Black and brown acrylic paint. (We used what we had already on hand, but this brand at Michael's is only $0.50 per bottle, and works really well).
* The pattern cut-outs of the Squirtle shell, taped together according to the directions on page 5 in the Pattern PDF.
Total cost for Squirtle costume: $32.80 — Oops! We went a little over budget because of the costly skirt, but with the alternative option provided above, the total would come to $26.80.
We didn't include the price of these basic crafting supplies in the estimate: scissors, a pencil, Mod Podge, a paintbrush, and a hot-glue gun with glue sticks.