2. The morning smoothie: A delicious, refreshing, and portable breakfast.
And filling, if you build it right: nut butters (like almond, cashew, or peanut) are an easy way to add healthy fats and protein, veggies like leafy greens give you a boost of nutrients, and fruit sweetens the blend (and makes breakfast feel like a treat) without adding extra processed sugars. You can use milk, water, coconut water, coconut milk, nut milks, fruit juice, or whatever as your liquid — this will help everything blend together smoothly — and each have different nutritional benefits. Ingredients like chia seeds or flax seeds can be great additions if you want to pack in some extra fiber, too.
If this feels overwhelming, don’t worry! There are plenty of recipes out there to be your ~smoothie guides~.
3. But smoothies face one big enemy — the rush of a morning routine.
Ain’t nobody got time to measure ingredients, blend them, wash the blender, drink the smoothie, and do everything else that you have to do in the mornings.
(P.S. You can get the recipe for this Summer Berry Smoothie here.)
4. Thankfully, your freezer is here for you.
Prep on Sunday. Gulp down every morning.
5. Start by gathering all of the ingredients you’ll need to a make a week’s worth of smoothies.
Just take your favorite recipe, and multiply the ingredients as necessary. My personal go-to is pineapple, mango, greens, almond butter, and coconut milk. (Full recipe at the bottom of this post!) Or, if you hate eating the same thing day in and day out, pick up a variety of ingredients so you can mix and match.
6. Get your containers ready.
If you’re going to make 8 smoothies, have 8 containers ready. I use (admittedly cliché) mason jars, for two reasons. First, they’re cheap AF. Second, the screw-on lid means I can throw the smoothie in my work bag without having to worry about leaks. But they are glass, so if you go this route, just know that if you drop one, it’ll probably shatter.
There are a variety of other options out there that would work, though, like the Blender Bottle or the Stay Or Go Travel Cup. You’ll just want to make sure you have five of whatever you’re going to use (or, enough for however many smoothies you plan to make).
8. Pour one (or two, or seven) out.
Hey, maybe you have a blender that can handle more than one mason jar’s worth of smoothie at a time. Whatever you do, leave enough space at the top so the smoothie can expand some as it freezes (because yes, it will expand). Most mason jars have a freeze fill line, a handy guide for how full you can fill them. If you’re concerned about freezing in glass, here are a few tips to prevent breakage.
9. Repeat this process until all your jars or cups are filled and in the freezer.
With their lids on, to prevent spills. (Yes, ok, I eat a lot of ice cream.)
10. Wash your blender — once!
Fill it about 1/3 of the way up with hot water and add a couple of drops of dish soap for fun bubbles (and easy cleaning).
11. Every night, put the next day’s smoothies in the fridge.
Let them thaw there — depending on how big your container is, the smoothies will need at least 8 hours in the fridge to thaw enough to be drinkable (they’ll have an awesome slushy texture, too). Now is the time to ‘gram them, for, you know, internet points.
12. Then in the morning, drink your smoothie and congratulate yourself on your brilliance.
13. Coconut, Fruit, and Greens Smoothie
Recipe by Natalie Brown
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 cup mixed kale and rainbow chard
1 cup pineapple
1/4 cup frozen mango
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients in the blender, and blend until smooth.
- French President François Hollande said he won't run for reelection, citing his unpopularity and likely inability to garner enough support.
- The pilot of the jet carrying a Brazilian soccer team chose to skip a refuel stop before crashing in Colombia, killing 71 people.
- Tennessee's massive wildfires have now killed 11 people and destroyed or damaged more than 700 structures.
- Spanish authorities have accused six professional tennis players of helping to fix 17 matches 🎾💰