38 Easy Home Decor Updates That'll Make An Immediate Difference
Things pretty much anybody could do, from simple swaps to day-long projects.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Give your garage doors a dose of instant character and detail with a set of carriage-style magnets that take only seconds to attach and arrange so they look just right.
2. Freshen up your living room in a single step: stuff those throw pillows you're not in love with anymore into a new set of covers.
3. Spend two hours one afternoon making over your kitchen with a peel-and-stick tile backsplash that'll be easy to wipe clean when your baking gets a little messy.
4. If you don't love the ones you have right now, swap out your cabinet and drawer pull handles. Find ones that are the same length (and use the same holes) as the ones you have already so you can simply change 'em out, no drilling required.
5. Update your circa-1990s appliances for less than the cost of dinner for two: simply cover them in stainless-steel-effect contact paper.
6. Box up a router and other e-clutter behind a row of cut-up books for a visual disguise that won't block the all-important wifi signal.
7. Hang those pendant lights you've always dreamed of, no electrician required: just pick up a couple conversion kits for your builder-grade can lights.
8. Or opt for a pendant lamp, which couldn't be simpler — all you have to do is hang it up and plug it into any regular outlet for that rustic bedside glow.
9. Transform all your favorite novels and cookbooks into works of art you can enjoy every single day with a set of three floating bookshelves.
10. Erase old water stains from your antique furniture so it looks nearly brand-new again with the help of a miracle wood finish restorer.
11. Dress up a blank wall in your kitchen (and tbh any room) with a wood-framed tea towel you can switch out with the seasons — or just your mood.
12. Exchange your yellowing, cracked, or otherwise blah switch- and outlet-plates for new architectural covers to give every room a dramatically better look with almost zero effort required.
13. Banish all the stubborn carpet and upholstery stains you've left for too long with a spray cleaner basically guaranteed to make your jaw drop the moment you see the "after."
15. Or disguise a hideous buzzer or interior fuse box with a trendy macramé hanging you can move when you need easy access.
16. Replace the blah-looking house number next to your front door with a modern option for a quick curb-appeal boost.
17. Breathe new life into a scratched laminate-wood table (or your backsplash, a tray, or even a full bookshelf) in two steps: covering some of it with marble contact paper, and painting the rest to coordinate.
18. Transfigure your just-blah chest of drawers into something that looks custom and hand-painted with a set of furniture decals. You just rub them onto your piece with a wooden stick, so it's the perfect project for a lazy Sunday afternoon.
19. Or take the next ~step~ and use some peel-and-stick staircase decals for a custom look you can finish just in time to watch the reveal on your favorite HGTV show.
20. Magically conjure new storage and display space wherever you need it most with a basket shelf or two.
22. And hang floor-to-ceiling blackout velvet curtains anywhere you a) just want a dramatic finish or b) do want to block out as much daylight as possible, whether your kiddo needs to nap or you just want to sleep in on Saturdays.
23. Create a beautiful gallery wall with very little effort thanks to a ready-to-hang frame set — it even comes with three different full-size templates to help you put the nails in all the right places.
24. Or enlist an easy-hang ledge shelf (thanks, Command Strips!) for instant custom shelving wherever you might need it, whether you're building a gallery wall, displaying kids books, or need a better spot for your spices or skincare products.
25. Recover that hand-me-down sofa your roommate left with some soft velvet slip covers to make it look brand new (and a little luxe!) without breaking the bank.
26. Dress up your WFH space with a velvet swivel desk chair because both your back and you will be happier when you have something more supportive than that hard kitchen chair.
27. Decant your soaps and conditioners into pretty glass dispensers so your shower looks less like the drugstore aisle full of brand names and more like a calm, personalized spa.
28. Makeover up your old-school bathtub with a tub-and-tile kit to hold you over until you have the time/cash/inspiration to shell out the big bucks to replace it.
29. Hang a roll of faux ivy to solve several problems at once: conceal an ugly railing or wire fence, create a little extra privacy, and block a view you wish you didn't have to see.
30. Slap on a coat of simple primer to brighten up a dingy brick or cinderblock garage over the course of a regular old Sunday afternoon.
31. Swap out your standard air vent wall registers with a decorative cover worthy of Gatsby himself.
32. Toss the branded hand soap pump you've been refilling who even knows how long for foaming dispensers — these use less soap per pump than regular bottles, so you'll save $$ on soap refills, too.
33. Nestle your litter box in a cabinet designed with a little entrance so your kittehs can do their business in private, and you don't have to look at it, either.
34. Refresh metal fixtures with metal-look spray paint to make them look completely new in just an hour or two.
35. Overhaul that outdated Formica in your kitchen with a granite-look countertop paint kit for an inexpensive upgrade that'll last for years. It'll be a little more complicated than some updates you could do, but still can be done in just a weekend!
36. And do the same to your cabinets (a full weekend or two later, it's ok to give yourself a break!) with the help of a cabinet paint set — forget multiple trips to the hardware store, because this kit involves no stripping, priming, top coat or sealer, and there's no need to remove your cabinet doors. Just spread out a drop cloth and get to painting.
37. Stick some remote-controlled adhesive puck lights under your cabinets for the extra light you've always dreamed of, but didn't realize you could install on the cheap and in under an hour.
38. Block a utility box, trash cans, or anything else you want to make disappear but still need to access regularly with a simple privacy screen.
Reviews have been edited for length and clarity.