25 Cheap Products To Replace A Whole Bunch Of Disposable Plastic
So you can help out the planet, even if just a little bit.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A small snack-size reusable bag, so you can get all the functionality of a regular plastic bag with none of the waste.
2. And some silicone lids that stretch to fit over all shapes and sizes of dishes, replacing a bunch of plastic wrap and foil with something reusable, flexible, leak-proof, and just plain useful.
3. Or a three-pack of Beeswax food wrap, which can cover containers *and* wrap in on itself for those times where you don't have a plate or bowl on hand.
4. A pack of three reusable plastic K-cups that, besides just saving plastic, will also save you lots of money because you don't have to keep buying the refills.
5. A basic reusable water bottle if you don't have one already, because just think of how many single-use plastic bottles it could replace in its lifetime!
6. A pack of four silicone lids to cap off your daily medium-sized coffee from your favorite barista.
7. A set of glass straws — if you currently use plastic ones, just think of how many you'll be able to replace when you upgrade to these beauties.
8. Or a set of stainless steel straws great for stashing in your purse or backpack so you can always refuse a plastic one at the restaurant or movie theater.
9. A pack of six machine-washable, 100% cotton flannel reusable Swiffer cloths, so you can have all the quick and easy convenience of a Swiffer, but with less waste and zero extra hand-washing effort.
10. A pack of scrubbing sponges that are 100% compostable and biodegradable, unlike that regular brightly-colored sponge you've been using for years.
11. Some bamboo toothbrushes so you can shine up your smile without contributing yet another big piece of plastic to your local landfill.
12. Or these toothbrushes — they're made of 100% recycled plastic *and* you can mail them in after you're finished using them to be recycled again.
13. A two month's supply of toothpaste tablets *with fluoride* that come in a compostable pouch. Never heard of toothpaste tabs before? Basically, you chew 'em up first, then brush!
14. A pack of three makeup remover cloths that take every bit of product off with just water and a few swipes, letting you ditch those disposable wipes while still embracing your lazy side.
15. A vial of silk dental floss because, yes, that classic brand you've been buying from the store for years is just one long strand of plastic.
16. Six wool dryer balls so you can still soften your clothes *and* enjoy that clean laundry day smell, without tossing a polyester dryer sheet in the trash.
17. A pack of pens that are manufactured with 89% post-consumer plastic — the success of the recycling industry all depends on economics, and choosing products like this helps in some small way to create the demand for more, well, recycling.
18. Four collapsible, reusable containers you can stash in your car or bag to bring your leftovers home without using yet another one of those styrofoam or plastic clamshells.
19. A four-pack bundle of stretchy, comfy Ruby Love period underwear because they're an easy swap for pantyliners on your lighter days (and a blessing to have as backup on your heavier days, too).
20. A pack of two travel flatware sets (complete with their own protective pouches!) because there's no need to trash some disposable plasticware each and every time you eat lunch at work or a dinner at the airport.
21. A collapsible silicone microwave popcorn maker perfect for movie night — just pour in some kernels, add a little (optional) oil, and two minutes later, you'll be stuffing delicious handfuls into your mouth.
22. A few certified compostable sponge cloths that absorb 20 times their weight in water, making your days of endlessly replacing that empty roll of paper towels (where do they go so quickly?!) a thing of the past.
23. Minty gum made with a base of tree sap (aka chicle) — many regular brands mix plastic into their base — so you can chew till your heart's content, knowing it will completely biodegrade when you're done with it.
24. Of course, some reusable produce bags because they can completely eliminate those flimsy plastic store bags from your life basically forever.
25. And three extra-large cotton grocery bags, so if you don't have enough reusable shopping bags already, you can go with something incredibly functional.
The Earth, seeing how focused you are on reducing all the single-use plastic in your life:
The reviews in this post have been edited for length and clarity.