A quick search of the word “Filipino” on lyrics database Rap Genius mostly turns up guys boasting about the provenance of their one-night stands. P-Lo, the 22-year-old rapper and producer from East Bay suburb Pinole, is an outlier in those search results, waving the flag for himself. “Young Filipino got the game on lock,” he bragged last year.
3. Last year, P-Lo released a great solo tape, MBMGC2.
As a producer, he also made the most-beloved beat on veteran rapper Yo Gotti’s 2013 album. That song, “Act Right,” took him right to the bottom of the top: the number 100 spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.
4. P-Lo’s new video for MBMGC2 opener “Can’t Tell Me Nothin” is debuting today on BuzzFeed.
It was filmed at his old elementary school in San Pablo, which is now abandoned. Produced by YPonTheBeat, the song features verses by HBK’s Skipper and Kool John. The video was directed by HBK’s David Camarena.
5. The song “comes on slappin’ out the gate,” P-Lo told BuzzFeed. “I had to do a video for it.”
6. There it go:
7. Watch P-Lo’s “They Can’t Tell Me Nothin” video:
- The election is really, really over now: Jill Stein has dropped her Pennsylvania recount request, making Donald Trump the absolute winner.
- At least 9 are dead and 25 missing after a warehouse party fire in Oakland, CA. Dozens of fatalities are feared.
- Cuba prepares to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago Saturday, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.
- This 23--year-old got her lost driver's license back in the mail along with a hilarious thank you note 📝😂