A quick search of the word “Filipino” on lyrics database Rap Genius mostly turns up guys boasting about the provenance of their one-night stands. P-Lo, the 22-year-old rapper and producer from East Bay suburb Pinole, is an outlier in those search results, waving the flag for himself. “Young Filipino got the game on lock,” he bragged last year.
3. Last year, P-Lo released a great solo tape, MBMGC2.
As a producer, he also made the most-beloved beat on veteran rapper Yo Gotti’s 2013 album. That song, “Act Right,” took him right to the bottom of the top: the number 100 spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.
4. P-Lo’s new video for MBMGC2 opener “Can’t Tell Me Nothin” is debuting today on BuzzFeed.
It was filmed at his old elementary school in San Pablo, which is now abandoned. Produced by YPonTheBeat, the song features verses by HBK’s Skipper and Kool John. The video was directed by HBK’s David Camarena.
5. The song “comes on slappin’ out the gate,” P-Lo told BuzzFeed. “I had to do a video for it.”
6. There it go:
7. Watch P-Lo’s “They Can’t Tell Me Nothin” video:
- Donald Trump on Sunday said that his comments about a problem in Sweden — were not about an event, but about a Fox News report 🇸🇪🙃
- Exactly 75 years ago today, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the executive order authorizing the internment of Japanese-Americans.
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat in the color of Somalia's flag 🇸🇴
- One man scammed his way through New York Fashion week by dressing up as Sisqó — and people really believed him 😩