1. Nicki Minaj won the award for Best Female Hip-Hop Artist at Sunday’s BET Awards, for the fifth year in a row. And then she gave this show-ending acceptance speech:
2. Nicki gave thanks for the opportunity to represent women in a male-driven culture, and celebrated herself for writing her own rhymes: “When you hear Nicki Minaj spit…Nicki Minaj wrote it.”
3. Here’s the whole speech:
This is always very very emotional for me. Because this is my fifth year winning this award and I don’t take it for granted, I really don’t.
I thank god that I’ve been placed in a position to do something and represent women in a culture that is so male-driven. and I want you to know this — I want you to know that I have an album The Pink Print that’s coming out before the year ends. That’s not a plug but it’s a plug. But my point is, what I want the world to know about Nicki Minaj is, that when you hear Nicki Minaj spit, Nicki Minaj wrote it.
No, no, no shade. No, no, no shade. I used to sit in the studio with Wayne and I would literally take sometimes three, four days to write a verse. And he was like, No, you can’t be taking days to write no verse, you gotta write your verse right here in the studio. And that’s why I love him till this day. Because he pushed me to push my pen, and I’m still one of the only emcees that’s out here spitting metaphors and making you think. And I really don’t even care if I get my credit or if I don’t.
I don’t look at myself as a female rapper, because I know what I do. And I thank my fans because they…
…They might cut me off. This is so big. At one time black people was getting blacked out on the TV now they own their own network. This is big. This is different…
…I just wanna say that, the other day, literally I didn’t tell anyone this, I really thought I was about to die. Like I was saying my prayers to die. And I didn’t even wanna call the ambulance because I thought well if I call the ambulance, it’s gonna be on TMZ. And I would rather sit there and die…and it made me realize, I don’t care what anybody gotta say. I’ma do me, I’ma do me. And I hope and pray that BET continues to honor authenticity. And that’s all I’m gonna say about that. Stephen I love you. It is what it is. Young Money till the death of me.
- The chairman of the National Governors Association, said Trump has promised only criminals will deported and random spot checks won't be conducted.
- The trans sister of a Trump inauguration singer must be allowed to use the restroom that fits her gender ID, a judge ruled.
- The suspect in a Kansas shooting that left an Indian man dead thought he was shooting Iranians, and the FBI is investigating as a possible hate crime.
- Elon Musk announced that his SpaceX company will send two tourists around the moon by 2018 🚀🌝