2. The last time Ye played Bonnaroo, it was kind of a mess.
Back in 2008, Pearl Jam played before the rapper for three hours, and he ended up taking the stage at 4:30 a.m., playing for a depleted crowd as the sun rose.
“This Bonnaroo thing is the worst insult I’ve ever had in my life. This is the most offended I’ve ever been … this is the maddest I ever will be,” he wrote on his blog after that show.
3. This year, as he performed “Heartless,” Kanye called out the press, seemingly for making 2008’s debacle look like it was Kanye’s fault.
“Last time before I got here they had ‘fuck Kanye’ on the port-a-potties. This time we’re going to piss on them,” he said.
He then called out “where the press at?” repeatedly, adding that, in 2008, someone also wrote “fuck Kanye” on his “cryo” and “pyro” tanks. “Y’all wrote that shit in the press,” he continued. “Is y’all gonna write all these motherfuckers putting their hands up right now … this is real rock ‘n roll.”
4. Kanye looked very rock ‘n roll in double tie dye.
He wore a similar distressed denim outfit when he played the X Games in Austin earlier in June.
5. Kim Kardashian showed up to support her new husband in a sheer white tee and nude bikini top.
Kim and baby North have been in Tennessee with Kanye all week, according to talk around town. A rental car guy in Nashville told BuzzFeed they’d rented a luxury SUV (“it had to be black,” the guy said), and another Bonnaroo production assistant claimed that a friend had been dispatched on Friday morning to pick up a crib for North at a local Pottery Barn.
6. While boos can be heard in some fan videos, there was a lot of love in the crowd.
“I want y’all to know that anytime I’m in the studio, make a record, make a T-shirt, I give it everything I got,” West said after he sang “Power.” “And when I talk that shit, it’s so you can talk that shit. If you’re a fan of me, you’re a fan of your motherfuckin’ self. You can go out and do anything.”
After performing “Runaway,” he said: “”The fact that there are so many people here tonight, it humbles me,” he said. “It humbles me in a way it gives me strength. I know I set my goals very high. What I promise you as I stand here tonight, 37 years old, this is only the beginning.”
7. Notably, Kanye cut Jay Z references out of several lyrics during the show.
- The Trump administration is reportedly considering a set of policies to prosecute parents who illegally enter the US with their children.
- Norma McCorvey, the woman behind the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case, Roe v. Wade, has died in Texas at 69.
- Mark Sanford held a town hall on Saturday that he organized with Indivisible, a group dedicated to holding members of Congress' feet to the fire.
- Donald Glover has been cast as Simba in Disney's remake of "The Lion King."