1. This is Alexis Phifer.
2. She dated Kanye West on and off for six years, starting in 2002.
5. Kanye really wasn’t so different then. He and Alexis, a designer, liked going to fashion shows.
6. And hanging out in Paris.
7. Then, in November 2007, Kanye was devastated by the tragic death of his mother, Donda.
In the months after, he threw himself into preparations for 2008’s Glow In The Dark tour. He also told GQ that, having confronted how precious life is, he was ready to marry Phifer soon. “I’m just going to go and get married — I’m not going to make a big deal out of it,” she said. “I wouldn’t get married to prove anything to anyone. It’s for me, for stability in my life, and I’m so happy that I found someone that I really love, that challenges me, that keeps my life interesting, that’s just as crazy as I am.”
8. Sources close to Kanye told Us that Kanye was eager to marry Phifer, to honor Donda’s wish that they wed. But things went sour a year and a half into the engagement, and the couple officially split in April 2008, two months after this photo was taken.
“They’d been having problems,” a friend of West’s told People. “Kanye is really focused on his show; he’s putting everything into the show right now. Alexis is a nice girl, but Kanye has been going through a rough time. They hit a rough patch and for now they’ve split.”
“It’s always sad when things like this end, and we remain friends,” Phifer said at the time. “I wish him the best in his future and all of his endeavors. He’s one of the most talented people I’ve ever met.”
10. Amber and Kanye split in 2010. Amber blamed this in part on Kim Kardashian, calling Kim a “homewrecker.”
In 2012, Amber Rose told Star that Kim and Kanye had an affair, while Kim was dating NFL player Reggie Bush, and Kanye was with Amber. “She was sending pictures [to Kanye], and I was like, ‘Kim, just stop. Don’t be that person,’” Rose said.
11. There’s been speculation that Kim had something to do with Kanye’s breakup with Alexis too. Kim met Kanye in 2004 — she was first photographed with him (and Alexis) at this 2007 party:
Looking back on her engagement to Kanye in a 2011 interview, Phifer said: “It was just a part of my life, but I’m really confident in who I am and what it is I do. Anybody who meets me and gets to know me, I don’t think it would sway their decision either way on whether they like me or not.”
12. Here’s Alexis these days, at a party for the 2014 Oscars:
- Thousands have made it to the Women's March on Washington to stand up for women's rights and protest Donald Trump.
- Crowds for the Women's March in Washington, DC, are turning out to be much larger than for the inauguration so far.
- People are participating in the Women's March today all the way in Antarctica, surrounded by penguins ❄️
- "We shall overcomb." People across America are getting creative and making some pretty epic signs for the Women's March.