1. Clean Bandit’s song “Rather Be” has been streamed almost 37 million times on Spotify, by people around the world.
Its video has been watched on YouTube another 24 million times. The song features singer Jess Glynne — she appears in the video, but don’t confuse her with its protagonist.
Clean Bandit are a four-piece from Cambridge, England. They’ve been together for five years, and found some success last year with “Mozart’s House,” a song that mashed together elements of dance and classical music.
3. “Rather Be” was released in January, and blew up in the UK really fast.
According to a rep for Spotify, it broke the record for number of plays in one week in the UK. During its first week on Spotify there, it was streamed more than 1 million times — the only other song that has ever done those kind of numbers in its first week, in the UK, was Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky.”
In February, “Rather Be” started picking up around the world. It’s currently the most-played song on Spotify globally, and it’s the #1 most-played song on Spotify in 13 countries — mostly in Europe, as well as Australia and New Zealand.
4. Clean Bandit wrote “Rather Be” with a guy name Jimmy Napes, who also co-wrote Disclosure’s “Latch,” another very good and very popular UK song.
- The Trump administration is rolling back an Obama-era policy aimed at protecting transgender students in public schools.
- North Dakota police have begun clearing out Standing Rock protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- Facebook is in negotiations with the Major League Baseball League to possibly stream one game per week during the 2017 season.