2. Her summer was so “Fancy.” You already know.
The 22-year-old singer has been in the game for nearly a decade; she started playing club gigs around the U.K. at 14. Last year, she put out a great album and co-wrote Icona Pop’s chart-storming “I Love It.” In 2014, she co-wrote and appeared on Iggy Azalea’s No. 1 hit “Fancy.”
3. Now, it’s safe to say we can all stop calling her a “pop star-in-waiting.”
5. On the heels of all that success, Charli XCX will release her sophomore album this fall. Brilliantly titled Sucker, it’s out Oct. 21 via Neon Gold/Atlantic Records.
6. Below, stream the premiere of “Break The Rules,” a second taste of what’s to come on Sucker.
7. It’s a shout-along, ~forget school, let’s dance~ anthem, pink and pop and powerful and punk at the same damn time. The song’s badass attitude and bass guitar recall Blur’s 1997 smash “Song 2.”
“The song is inspired by a lot of the things I was listening to whilst in Sweden at the end of last year,” Charli told BuzzFeed. “I spent about a month making a punk record and covering songs by Swedish punk bands like Snuffed By The Yakuza and stuff. This song was written when I came out of the other side of that punk phase and translated it into something more pop. Obviously, it’s about not giving a fuck.”
8. And soon, it seems, Charli will be “not giving a fuck” in a “Break The Rules” video:
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists say they've discovered an eighth continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat and the exchange was ~confusing~.