Ab-Soul’s got a lot on his mind.
The Top Dawg Entertainment roster — Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock, Ab-Soul, plus new signees Isaiah Rashad and SZA — is full of brainiacs, but among them, Ab-Soul is the smart and spiritual black sheep.
On his bravely emotional 2012 album, he detailed his battle with a debilitating skin disease and mourned the death of his partner. On its follow-up, released last week, he’s playful, spiraling though stories about cops, drugs, and the Illuminati, recruiting witnesses to verify his dreams. He’s also agitated, sometimes literally — the album ends with a 20-minute rap battle.
During a late June visit to New York, Soul shared some theoretical possibilities that might blow your mind.
He didn’t dwell on proving each theory’s potential. “If you’re into that, you can dig into that,” he said, with a wizardish smile.
2. Fluoride calcifies the pineal gland.
“The pineal gland excretes melatonin, which helps regulate your dreams during REM sleep. Fluoride calcifies the pineal gland. Fluoride is found in toothpaste, something that you need to use every time you eat. It is also found in tap water,” Soul said. “I brush my teeth with Tom’s non-fluoride toothpaste.”
- Hillary Clinton returned to the public arena in one of her first political appearances since the election, urging Democrats to "keep fighting."
- The White House blocked several media outlets it's been critical of, including BuzzFeed, from a closed-door briefing by Press Secretary Sean Spicer.
- The White House strongly denies reports that Chief of Staff Reince Priebus urged the FBI to undermine stories linking Trump to Russia.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.