1. This week Time released its annual list of the year’s “100 most influential people.”
Beyonce, Rand Paul, and Carl Icahn were among this year’s honorees.
2. Absent from this year’s list was transgender activist and actress Laverne Cox, who was the fifth highest vote getter in Time’s online poll.
3. Although Time said that its editors would have the final say on who makes the list, it also said that the magazine wants “readers to have a say too.”
8. John Green, the popular author and one of Time’s chosen people, chimed in on Tumblr and answered a question from a follower with this response:
Laverne Cox is the most visible trans person of color in the world and she has helped millions of people to learn about trans people and the discrimination they face. I think Laverne Cox is one of the most important and influential people in the world and should’ve been included in the TIME 100.
9. When contacted by BuzzFeed asking why Cox was not chosen, Time said it declines to comment on the matter.
10. Cox thanked her fans on Thursday night for supporting her in the poll.
- "It was a wick": Artists, friends, and survivors describe what it was like inside the Oakland warehouse party fire that left at least 9 dead.
- The election is really, really over now: Jill Stein has dropped her Pennsylvania recount request, making Donald Trump the absolute winner.
- Cuba is preparing to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago Saturday, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.
- This 23-year-old got her lost driver's license back in the mail along with a hilarious thank you note 📝😂