1. We can tell it feels good… scientists now think they know why.
2. Gentle stroking activates a type of neuron: the MRGPRB4+ neuron.
3. Researchers have confirmed that this neuron is found in all mammals.
4. Its activation is related to lower stress-responses.
Koala doesn’t seem very stressed at all
5. The nerve endings of these neurons are widely spaced on skin…
6. …which is why only gentle stroking activates these neurons
7. Birds may also have these neurons…
8. …creating evolutionary connections across many species thought to be unrelated.
9. The reason why these neurons evolved is unclear.
10. Consider it nature’s gift.
So, pet and be pet!!
- A luxury event called Fyre Festival has turned into a total shitshow. "I think the festival took on a life of its own," the event's co-founder said 😱
- American Airlines gave workers a raise — to the highest pay in the industry — and Wall Street is furious. The company's stock has been falling since Thursday.
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- We found an average of about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯