1. Fill up your MetroCard before you need it.
2. Don't be dumb with your smartphone.
3. Know your route.
4. Don't eat stinky foods.
5. Have some pride and clean up after yourself.
6. Be aware of your surroundings.
7. Watch your volume.
8. Be a good neighbor.
9. Stay woke.
10. Don't stand too close to the tracks.
11. Know when to speak up.
It seems like the best way to ride the NYC subway like a New Yorker is to treat the city and the people living in it with respect. So, basically, be a decent human being, and If You See Something, Say Something™.
Brought to you by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Funding provided by grants from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.