Last month, FIFA president Sepp Blatter admitted that choosing “high-risk” Qatar as the host of the World Cup was a “mistake,” and the international federation is currently performing an investigation into possible corruption surrounding Qatar’s successful bid.
So far, five of FIFA’s six main sponsors have publicly issued statements of concern relating to the Qatar bid, with Visa’s Chief Marketing Officer Antonio Lucio stating that he would expect FIFA to take “aggressive action” if any of the claims proved to be true.
Meanwhile, Qatar has denied any wrongdoing, including claims of bribery. FIFA’s report is set to come out next month.
Update — June 12, 9:13 p.m. ET: Ramos has since deleted the original tweet and U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati has denied the report, according to Sam Borden of the New York Times.
- More than 35 people have died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- German leader Angela Merkel said the UK can't expect to keep privileges once it leaves the EU.
- More athletes — nearly all of them golfers — have pulled out of the Rio Olympics over Zika virus concerns.