Richie Incognito (left) and Jonathan Martin.
2. Before The Incident
• As a freshman at Nebraska, offensive lineman Richie Incognito reportedly bullies teammate Jack Limbaugh; Limbaugh leaves the team. Incognito is also ejected from a game for fighting.
• Nebraska’s coach suspends Incognito for reasons unknown, then reinstates him.
• Incognito is charged with three counts of assault after a fight at a party. He’s suspended and withdraws from school.
• Two weeks later, Incognito joins the Oregon football team. One week after that, he’s kicked off the Oregon football team.
• Incognito, having been drafted by the Rams in 2005, is voted the “NFL’s dirtiest player” by The Sporting News in a poll of 99 players.
• Jonathan Martin makes his first start in college football as a redshirt freshman for the Stanford Cardinal.
• Incognito is released by the Rams following several incidents, including head-butting and fighting opposing players and a fallout with then-Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo.
• Incognito signs with the Miami Dolphins.
• Incognito is involved in an in-game fight with Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who is fined $30,000 for punching Incognito.
• The Miami Dolphins select Martin, who was twice an All-American at Stanford.
• Incognito is involved in a scuffle with Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith, who later accuses him of playing dirty.
• On Oct. 30, Jonathan Martin leaves the Dolphins.
4. The Aftermath and What We Know Now
Nov. 1 (last Friday):
• ESPN reports that Incognito is being investigated by the NFL Players Association for his role in Martin’s departure.
• Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen of ESPN report that Incognito has been the ringleader of bullying against Martin since Martin was a rookie.
Nov. 2 (last Saturday):
• The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Martin didn’t leave the Dolphins because of bullying by teammates, but because of “other emotional issues.”
• Martin reportedly shares threatening texts and voicemails he received from Incognito with his parents.
Nov. 3 (last Sunday):
• The Dolphins release a statement calling reports of bullying speculation, but say an internal investigation is ongoing.
• Incognito takes to Twitter to declare his innocence.
• ESPN reports that Incognito forced Martin to pay $15,000 for a trip to Las Vegas he didn’t participate in.
• The Miami Herald reports that Martin and other young players were forced to pay numerous bills for veterans, including a $30,000 team dinner, and that one young player on the team was nearly broke.
• Martin allegedly hands over the threatening, racist texts and voicemails to the Dolphins and the league.
• The Dolphins suspend Incognito indefinitely.
Nov. 4 (Monday):
• Deadspin alleges that Incognito’s father has been posting on Dolphins message boards defending his son and attacking Martin.
• A transcript of a message Incognito allegedly left for Martin in April, in which he calls the younger player a “half-n——r piece of shit,” is made public.
Nov. 6 (Wednesday):
• Several dolphins teammates come forward to defend Incognito, including quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who said, “If you asked Jonathan Martin who his best friend is on this team two weeks ago, he’d say Richie Incognito,” as well as teammate Tyson Clabo, who said, “Richie was a pretty good teammate … I don’t know why [Martin is] doing this. And the only person who knows why is Jonathan Martin.”
• A former Dolphins player says Incognito is considered an “honorary” black man by teammates.
• A report claims the Miami Dolphins coaches told Incognito to “toughen up” Martin after Martin missed some offseason workouts.
• Incognito is said to feel “betrayed” that Martin leaked the voicemail in which Incognito called him a “half n——-r.”
• NFL commissioner Roger Goodell appoints a lawyer named Ted Wells to investigate the situation.
• Martin checks into a hospital to deal with emotional distress.
Nov. 7 (Thursday):
• Former Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Lydon Murtha writes that Incognito took Martin “under his wing” during Martin’s rookie season, and on the issue of the racist voicemail, “Many more worse things were said about others in the [locker] room from all different parties.”
• NFL Media’s Albert Breer writes on Twitter that Martin voted for Incognito when the Dolphins elected a leadership council.
• Pro Football Talk reports that Martin’s agent contacted Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland about the situation with Incognito on Oct. 28 and that, according to sources, Ireland suggested that Martin physically confront the bullies and punch Incognito.
• Martin’s agent says Martin had issues with several Dolphins, not just Incognito.
• Sports Illustrated reports that Incognito will soon file a grievance against the team.
• Martin is said to be “preparing a detailed document for his cooperation with a league investigation into a string of alleged multiple incidents he says led to his emotional distress and exit from the team.”
Update - Nov. 7, 9:00 p.m., EDT:
• Jonathan Martin’s lawyer David Cornwell, says in a statement that Martin was also physically abused in the locker room and received “daily vulgar comments” from teammates such as, “We are going to run train on your sister… . She loves me. I am going to f–k her without a condom and c– in her c—.”
• An ABC station in Florida located a police report filed against Incognito in 2012 which claims that at a charity golf event, he rubbed his golf club against a volunteer’s private area, rubbed his privates against her and emptied bottled water on her face. The woman apparently did not press further charges.
Update - Nov. 8, 1:45 p.m., EDT:
• According to a report, Richie Incognito held offensive line meetings at a South Florida strip club and would fine teammates if they didn’t attend.
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists says they've discovered an 8th continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- A Texas girl celebrated her 6th birthday with an absolutely amazing Selena-themed party 🎤🌹