1. Before Tuesday’s second round doubles match at Wimbledon, Serena Williams was struggling to hit balls, seemed disoriented, and even started crying.
2. And then things got even worse for her during the match.
3. Which caused a lot of commotion on Twitter:
7. After some disturbingly bad and bizarre play, which caused one of the commentators to declare that she’s “never seen anything like this before,” the match was ended on a forfeit from Serena and Venus.
Although no one is totally sure what happened, on Saturday, after losing to Alize Cornet, Serena Williams said in a post-game interview that “I suck right now at doubles. I told Venus the other day I don’t even want to play because I’m so bad right now. She should get a new partner.”
Update — July 1, 12:55 p.m. ET: According to SI Tennis, the official reason for Serena Williams’ exit was “viral illness.”
- Refugee families are being torn apart by British bureaucracy. Processing delays and impossible bureaucratic barriers are separating families by thousands of miles.
- Seventeen people died in a fire at a makeshift nursing home near Ukraine's capital Kiev on Sunday.
- At least four people died and 49 others were injured in shootings during a violent Memorial Day weekend in Chicago.