Mick Foley is a kind-hearted man of many talents. He’s a New York Times’ best selling author, a children’s book author, a philanthropist, an activist, a charitable man whose work with the Make-a-Wish Foundation, ChildFund International, and the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) have defined him as quite possibly the most awesome man on the planet. So awesome that Jon Stewart awarded Foley the “Medal of Reasonableness” at the 2010 Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.
But Foley is, above all, a wrestler AND A DAMN GOOD ONE. Whether performing under the guise of Mankind, Cactus Jack or Dude Love, he’s delivered some of the most memorable moments in wrestling history.
Do you remember the time when…
2. He was thrown off a 20-foot high steel cage through an announcing table?
Very early into the match, Mick Foley was thrown off the cage through the Spanish announce table at ringside. As medics carried him out in a stretcher, he got back up, walked to the ring and once again climbed to the top of the cage…
3. Or the time he was chokeslammed through the steel cage itself?
After being thrown off the cage and through the announce table, Foley re-climbed to the top only to be chokeslammed THROUGH the cage. As he slammed onto the mat, a chair came crashing down on his face. One of his teeth ended up in his nose. Foley doesn’t remember what happened after he crashed onto the mat, but the match continued for another ten minutes…
16. …then thrown off the stage while STILL IN THE DUMPSTER?
A new tag team, The New Age Outlaws, wanted to make a name for themselves. So after Foley dropped the elbow into the dumpster, they locked him and his opponent inside and rolled them off stage. The stunt worked and the Outlaws became one of the most recognized tag teams in wrestling history… but not before giving Foley a concussion.
Since his debut in 1986, he’s suffered a long list of injuries including “eight concussions, five incidents of broken ribs, a broken cheekbone, second-degree burns and a torn abdominal.” He’s also lost two-thirds of his right ear and a number of teeth.
So the next time someone says that wrestling is fake, just point them in Foley’s direction.
- "It was a wick": Artists, friends, and survivors describe what it was like inside the Oakland warehouse party fire that left at least 9 dead.
- After deciding to end her request for a statewide recount in Pennsylvania, Jill Stein announced she plans to take the issue to federal court Monday.
- Thousands holding flags gathered in Cuba Saturday night to remember the life of Fidel Castro. His burial is set to take place on Sunday.
- "Saturday Night Live" spoofed Donald Trump retweeting weird people, just like the real president-elect 📱😂