Women Are Sharing Small Gestures They Wish Men Did More, And The Guys Out There Should Be Taking Notes
"Sometimes, I need guys to just be listeners and not fixers."
And there were so many excellent responses! Here are some of the most relatable ones:
1. "Putting their phone away during quality time. It shows they're focusing on you and the conversation/activity, and I think it's the ultimate sign of effort."
4. "Sometimes, I need guys to just be listeners and not fixers. When I have a problem, my husband always wants to go into fix it mode, but sometimes the fix is just sitting quietly and holding me or letting me cry it out."
"Sometimes, it’s nice when they just agree that Becky from sales is a bitch instead of offering 101 ways to get along with the bitch at work."
5. "If you’re complimenting a woman, instead of complimenting her looks (anything physical) give her a small compliment about a part of her personality. Goes farther than you would think."
"Or compliment something she chose, like hair style, nail color, outfit, etc."
7. "Introduce me to people immediately (my fiancé always does this, and I wish more partners did). If he knows them, it’s always 'Hey X, this is my fiancé Y.' And if he’s just meeting them too, it's 'Hi I’m X, and this is my fiancé Y.'
"It immediately welcomes me into the conversation (no awkward standing around while they talk), lets people know we’re together, and is helpful because I can be shy/reserved."
14. "Respect my opinions and knowledge about sports instead of gatekeeping it."
17. And finally, "Call out your friends. I think men worry more about policing their own behavior to comfort women (trying not to scare them when they're walking alone) but don't police their friends (stop them from harassing someone or sharing harmful dialogue about women)."
"That's where lives are changed. I think having bro culture with your friends is really nice, but it ends when women are being excluded or harmed."
Which small gestures do you appreciate? LMK in the comments below!
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.