2. Move To A Big City
New York, Chicago and Los Angeles are the Big 3 of Comedy cities. They have the most open mics, and comedy clubs as well as the most comedy schools. The UCB, Second City, Groundlings, iO are all in these cities. More opportunities = more chances to make it big.
4. Take Classes At Either UCB, Second City or Groundlings
If you look at the numbers for the last couple of years of where SNL cast members come from they’ve mostly performed or taken classes at Second City, UCB or Groundlings. UCB, especially, seems to be gaining a lot of influence with Lorne Michaels. Read a whole article about it here
6. Start A Sketch Group
Lorne Michaels, seems to be becoming a fan of hiring sketch groups to work with SNL. He first tried it with The Lonely Island (Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone and Akiva Schaffer) and recently did it with 3/4 of the sketch group Good Neighbor (Beck Bennet, Kyle Mooney and Dave McCary)
7. Work On A Couple Of Impressions
SNL loves to pull out the impression-reel sketches. So make sure you can do a couple, preferably of pop-culture figures
- Sebastian Gorka, a national security advisor to President Donald Trump, is reportedly set to leave the White House in the coming weeks.
- An American soldier died in Iraq this weekend after a roadside bomb exploded during a security check, the Pentagon said.
- As the number of terrorist convictions has increased in the UK, so has the concern that other inmates could too be lured into extremism.
- Selena Gomez said the backlash surrounding "13 Reasons Why" "is going to come no matter what" and noted that she's very proud of the series.