Michael Tunn owning that rainbow hoodie.
3. Merrick & Rosso were given their big break, with no grudges held when they switched to commercial two years later.
In this 1999 interview Merrick Watts said of the station, “Everybody expects Triple J to be cool and laid back and fun, and that’s exactly what it’s like. It’s a big happy place and you don’t have somebody running in and saying, ‘Right, in 30 seconds you have to do a Coke ad’. Instead they run in and say, ‘Right, in 30 seconds, you have to do cocaine’. (Extended pause.) Um, that’s a joke.”
5. They let us come on air and grieve when Kurt Cobain left this earth …
… because they loved him just as much as we did.
6. Nikki Gemmell and Liz Foschia made us realise we actually cared about the news.
7. And all the presenters were giant music geeks.
8. For a lot of kids living in the country, the arrival of Triple J to their area meant the first time they had access to alternative music.
And in those pre-internet days, the only access.