4. The Surrealist Manifesto (Salvador Dali)
Last year blog Brain Pickings invited artist Molly Crabapple to illustrate Salvador Dali’s creative vision and personal credo. While some of the dichotomies may seem obvious (complexity vs. simplicity), a Dali manifesto wouldn’t be complete without a few additional whimsies such as “spinach” and “melting watches”.
6. The Loner’s Manifesto (Tanya Davis)
Tanya Davis’ gorgeously gentle guide to being alone is a manifesto that every introvert can embrace.
7. The Zen Manifesto (Zenhabits)
In true zen-style, blogger Leo Babauta says the short version to his “Simple Living Manifesto” is first identify what’s most important to you, then eliminate everything else. For those who want a little more detail on exactly how to do that:
8. The Innovation Manifesto (Seth Godin)
Marketing guru Seth Godin is beloved in the start-up scene as a treasure chest of good ideas and advice. His latest manifesto inspires you to become a “linchpin” - aka those who “invent, lead (regardless of title), connect others, make things happen, and create order out of chaos”.
9. The Ascetic Manifesto (Leo Tolstoy)
If you think the life of a writer is all chain-smoking, whiskey-drinking late nights at the typewriter, think again. Prolific Russian writer Leo Tolstoy wrote his rules for life when he was just 18 years of age, and they seem to prove that stellar novels are a product of good old fashioned hard work and frugal living.
10. The Filmmaker’s Manifesto (Dogme 95)
Dogme 95 was an avant-garde filmmaking movement started in Denmark which sought to “purify” filmmaking by excluding the use of elaborate special effects or technology. Rules included the use of hand-held cameras, and all shooting done on location without extra props or sets.
11. The Personal Manifesto (Grimes)
This year Canadian artist Claire Boucher, also known as Grimes, took to Tumblr to rage against the haters and dirtbags trying to bring her down. And while you might not be able to relate to points like “I’m tired of people harassing my dancers”, you may be inspired enough to write your own powerful declaration.
- At least 9 are dead and 25 missing after a warehouse party fire in Oakland, CA. Dozens of fatalities are feared.
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- BuzzFeed News analyzed all the links in Donald Trump's tweets to determine where the president-elect gets his news 📰❗️
- "I'm 21 so you can have it back!" This 23-year-old got her lost ID back in the mail, along with a hilarious thank you note 💌😂