Recently I asked the BuzzFeed Community to share the first time they felt represented onscreen. Here are the responses:
1. Yvie Oddly from RuPaul's Drag Race
2. Willow Rosenberg from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
3. Chrissie from Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood
4. Simon from Love, Simon
5. Nick Nelson from Heartstopper
6. Gabriella from High School Musical
7. Mirabel from Encanto
8. Florence from Sex Education
9. Emily Fields from Pretty Little Liars
10. Kamala Khan from Ms. Marvel
11. Emma from Red Band Society
12. Riley from Inside Out
13. Rebecca Bunch from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
14. Issa Dee from Insecure
15. Elena from One Day at a Time
16. Max from Happy Endings
17. Eloise from Bridgerton
18. Chidi from The Good Place
19. Alina from Shadow and Bone
20. Elle Woods from Legally Blonde
21. Rosa Diaz from Brooklyn Nine-Nine
22. Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory
23. Selena from Selena (1997)
24. John Silver in Black Sails
25. And finally, most of the dance team from Gotta Kick It Up!
When was the first time you saw yourself represented in a TV show or movie? Or are you still waiting to see yourself onscreen? Let us know in the comments!
Note: Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness helpline is 1-888-950-6264 (NAMI) and provides information and referral services; GoodTherapy.org is an association of mental health professionals from more than 25 countries who support efforts to reduce harm in therapy.
The National Eating Disorders Association helpline is 1-800-931-2237; for 24/7 crisis support, text “NEDA” to 741741.