1. “Thirteen,” Big Star
Sweetest lyric: “Maybe Friday I can get tickets for the dance- and I’ll take you.”
“Thirteen” has been called “one of rock’s most beautiful celebrations of adolescence” and is rated among the best 500 songs of all time.
2. “Valentine,” Kina Grannis
Sweetest lyric: “So, won’t you be my honeybee? Giving sweet kisses all the time.”
The song is perfect for V-Day: it’s all in the name!
3. “I Want To Hold Your Hand,” The Beatles
Sweetest lyric: “When I say that something, I want to hold your hand!”
“I Want To Hold Your Hand” is considered by Paul McCartney to be the song that gave The Beatles their big break in America.
4. “First Day of My Life,” Bright Eyes
Sweetest lyric: “This is the first day of my life; I’m glad I didn’t die before I met you.”
The video itself focuses on happy couples reacting to the song together. It’s so sweet, y’all. Really beautiful.
5. “Can’t Help Falling In Love,” Elvis Presley
Sweetest lyric: “Take my hand, take my whole life too, for I can’t help falling in love with you.”
6. “Dress and Tie,” Charlene Kaye and Darren Criss
Sweetest lyric: “I’ll wear that dress if you wear that tie and baby we’ll dance through the night ‘cause no one’s got what we’ve got going.”
A sweet duet about knowing new love is good. Featuring Darren Criss in a cardigan and hot pink sunglasses.
7. “i Would Do Anything For You,” Foster the People
Sweetest lyric: “Ooh la love, I’m falling in love and it’s better this time than ever before.”
8. “Silly Love Songs,” Paul McCartney and Wings
Sweetest lyric: “I only know that when I’m in it, it isn’t silly, no, it isn’t silly: love isn’t silly at all!”
The ever-lovely Darren Criss performed this song during Season 2 of Glee.
9. “Kiss Me,” Ed Sheeran
Sweetest lyric: “Settle down with me and I’ll be your safety and you’ll be my lady.”
Ed wanted to write the perfect “wedding song;” this was the result.
10. “Lovesong,” Adele
Sweetest lyric: “Whatever words I say, I will always love you.”
“Lovesong” is originally by English rock band The Cure. Their video is a bit… creepy.
11. “Happy Valentine’s Day,” OutKast
Sweetest lyric: “Could be an organ donor the way I give up my heart!”
For the Valentine who wants to get up and groove.
12. “Always,” Panic! At The Disco
Sweetest lyric: “When the world gets too heavy, put it on my back: I’l be your levee.”
Such a sweet song <3
13. “Falling In Love At A Coffee Shop,” Landon Pigg
Sweetest lyric: “I’ve seen the paths that your eyes wander down- I want to come too.”
A cuddle song if I’ve ever heard one.
14. “Your Song,” Elton John
Sweetest lyric: “I hope you don’t mind that I wrote down in words how wonderful life is now you’re in the world.”
Moulin Rouge helped transfer this classic to a younger generation- and cement it as a truly great love song.
15. “Anyone Else But You,” The Moldy Peaches
Sweetest lyric: “I don’t see what anyone could see in anyone else but you.”
This adorable duet is commonly known as “that song from Juno.“
16. “A Moment Like This,” Kelly Clarkson
Sweetest lyric: “Some people search forever for that one special kiss- oh, I can’t believe it’s happening to me.”
The music video is about winning American Idol, but the song pretty much describes people finding true love/getting married/etc. It’s so cheesy, but it’s so perfectly lovey-dovey.
17. “Sweet Pea,” Amos Lee
Sweetest lyric: “You’re the only reason I keep on coming home.”
This is such a warm song. It makes you want to lie down on the beach. Here’s a live version.
18. “True Love Ways,” Buddy Holly and the Crickets
Sweetest lyric: “Throughout the days, our true love ways will bring us joys to share.”
The fifties were an era of great love songs. Buddy Holly wrote the song for his wife as a wedding gift, to whom he proposed to on their very first date. They were married about two months later.
19. “Such Great Heights,” Iron and Wine
Sweetest lyric: “I have to speculate that God himself did make us into corresponding shapes, like puzzle pieces from the clay.”
A perfect song for looking at the stars with your loved one.
20. “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles),” The Proclaimers
Sweetest lyric: “But I would walk five hundred miles and I would walk five hundred more just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door!”
Who wouldn’t want someone who would walk 1000 miles for them? That’s some serious devotion.
Bonus: the music video features early-nineties Johnny Depp since the song was used in promotion for his 1993 film, Benny and Joon (which is a great light-hearted/feel-good movie to watch on Valentine’s Day)!
21. “Little Things,” One Direction
Sweetest lyric: “You’ll never love yourself half as much as I love you and you’ll never treat yourself right, darling, but I want you to.”
I guess we really owe this one to Ed Sheeran, since he penned the song during his late teens. He has performed it a few times, as well.
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!
Share the love this February 14th (and always).
- Siege at Bangladesh cafe ends with 20 hostages dead, military officials say. Six gunmen were killed and 13 captives were rescued.
- Votes are being counted after Australia went to the polls in an election that could mean big things for marriage equality and the Great Barrier Reef 🇦🇺
- The Obama administration, which has been notoriously secretive about its drone policy, said drone strikes have killed up to 116 civilians.