13. The Great September Gale Of 1815 (the word hurricane wasn’t used back then) was the first major hurricane to impact New England in 180 years. The storm was so powerful that it rained salt water.
I realize this isn’t in New York City, but it’s still an interesting fact nonetheless.
Update: This post has been updated to meet our attribution standards.
- The Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota police have ordered protesters to leave the Dakota Access Pipeline site by this afternoon or face arrest.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- The ACLU is suing the city of Milwaukee and its police for allegedly performing thousands of illegal stop-and-frisk searches that targeted minorities.
- #Peggygate: West Elm offers full refunds for the notoriously disintegrating Peggy Couch days after pulling it from its website and stores👏