9. Old Rose in the movie owns a Pomeranian. A Pomeranian was one of only three dogs known to have survived the disaster.
As the real ship sank, a passenger freed dogs from their kennels and a survivor later recalled a French bulldog swimming in the ocean. James Cameron filmed scenes portraying the poor animals but cut them.
13. The elderly couple seen hugging on the bed while water floods their room are the owners of Macy’s department store in New York; Ida and Isidor Strauss, both of whom died on the Titanic.
Ida was offered a seat on a lifeboat but refused so that she could stay with her husband saying, “As we have lived together, so we shall die together.” There was a scene filmed that depicted this moment but was cut from the final version.
30. James Cameron did not want to include any song in the film.
The composer, James Horner, secretly arranged with lyricist Will Jennings and singer Céline Dion to write “My Heart Will Go On” and record a demo tape. Cameron responded favorably to the demo and decided to include the song over the closing credits.
- Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany has for the first time said that she backs proposals for a partial ban on burqas.
- The Supreme Court threw out a $399 million judgment against Samsung over the iPhone's design.
- Grammy nominations are out. Beyoncé has earned 9, including Album of the Year. Drake, Rihanna, and Kanye West each got 8 nods 💿🎶