Jordyn Wieber performs on the uneven bars.
At the Women’s Olympic Gymnastic preliminaries, the current World Champion, Jordyn Wieber, came in 4th place out of 60 athletes. 24 athletes qualified for the all-around competition.
Jordyn wasn’t one of them.
Why? Because of a “two-per country” rule that says only 2 athletes from one country can qualify for the all-around event. The rule was put in place to promote diversity and prevent a medal sweep.
Basically, Jordyn came in 4th place and didn’t qualify, while the person who came in 28th place did.
4. The 4 gymnasts that technically qualified, but will not be able to compete are:
British gymnast Jennifer Pinches.
Chinese gymnast Yao Jinnan.
Russian gymnast Anastasia Grishina.
And of course, Jordyn Wieber.
- Donald Trump on Sunday said that his comments about a problem in Sweden were not about an event, but about a Fox News report 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber has ordered an "urgent investigation" into an engineer's claim that she repeatedly experienced workplace sexism.
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat in the color of Somalia's flag 🇸🇴
- One man scammed his way through New York Fashion week by dressing up as Sisqó — and people really believed him 😩