21. This alternate version of “I Want It That Way” that sounds completely different than the one you know and love could have been released.
The alternate version was recorded because producers thought the original version didn’t make any sense. This version was never officially released, but it was played on radio a few times.
If you haven’t heard this version, it will blow your mind.
19. “…Baby One More Time” could have been sung by TLC.
TLC turned the song down for their FanMail album, and it was given to Britney.
18. Moreover, the “Baby One More Time” music video could have been about a cartoon superhero.
The original concept was supposed to be Britney as a cartoon superhero. Britney hated it and instead wanted to do the school-girl concept. Here’s a random fact: All the clothes in this music video were from K-Mart. Not one item in the video cost $17.
17. SpongeBob SquarePants could have been named SpongeBoy.
SpongeBob SquarePants debuted in 1999. His name would have been SpongeBoy, if the name hadn’t already been taken.
15. “Genie in a Bottle” could have never been released.
Christina Aguilera didn’t like the song. She didn’t want it on her first album, let alone released as her first single.
14. Will Smith could have been the lead role in “The Matrix.”
Will Smith was offered the role but passed because he wanted to do Wild Wild West instead.
13. Jim Carrey could have been Dr. Evil.
He was originally cast as Dr. Evil.
12. Jason Biggs could have been Pacey on “Dawson’s Creek.”
He auditioned for the role.
11. “Toy Story 2” was initially planned as an hour-long sequel that would have premiered on home video.
Toy Story 2 came out in 1999.
10. Bob Costas could have had Regis Philbin’s job on “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.”
He was considered as a host before Regis was hired.
9. Jay-Z could still be in jail.
In 1999, Jay-Z plead guilty to felony charges for stabbing a record executive, and he faced a potential 15 years in prison. He ended up with only three years of probation.
8. Sean William Scott could still be selling churros in a zoo.
After the filming of American Pie, Sean William Scott went back to his job selling churros at a zoo. Luckily, the film was successful.
6. Tony Soprano could have been named Tommy Soprano.
His name was originally supposed to be Tommy.
5. “Avatar” could have been released in 1999.
James Cameron started writing it in 1994 and intended it to be released in 1999, but the film was scrapped due to lack of funding.
4. There could have been 200 Pokemon.
Originally, the game was supposed to have 200!
3. The original “Super Smash Brothers” was going to be a game called “Dragon King: The Fighting Game.”
2. “What’s My Age Again” could have been called “Peter Pan Complex.”
That was its original title.
1. Auto-Tune could have never happened.
Auto-Tune was originally called the “Cher effect.” It was popularized after Cher’s “Believe” became a massive hit in 1999. The song is believed to be the first song to use it.
So, basically, without “Believe,” there might have never been Auto-Tune.
- Two weeks until Nov 8, there is no shortage of election forecasts. BuzzFeed's data reporters break down what the numbers really mean.
- The first Gilmore Girls trailer is finally here and it looks like Luke and Lorelai are together 💛☕️