This past weekend the internet lost its collective shit when Leonardo DiCaprio was spotted with Rihanna in the crowd at Coachella.
The sighting reignited speculation surrounding a long-rumored romance between the Academy Award winner and the pop star. But we're not here to talk about love...
We're here to talk about something much more important — DiCaprio's incredibly random college baseball hat collection.
Over the course of the past few years, DiCaprio seemed to shift away from his trademarked baseball hat and courtside Lakers seats in favor of a newsboy cap and tennis and soccer matches.
But this month Leo's perplexing hat collection has made a couple of high-profile appearances — from his Michigan hat at Coachella to his Cal hat at an Islanders game in Brooklyn — and it got me wondering again. Why?
Needless to say, there are plenty of questions that NEED to be asked.
1. Why the obsession with random college hats?
2. How many hats of random college teams does Leo have?
3. Are they haphazardly strewn about his plethora of mansions and yachts or beautifully showcased in a magnificent hat room?
4. And why does he almost exclusively wear Zephyr hats? (Honestly, no one wears Zephyr hats!)
5. Did Zephyr just send him every college hat they ever made or does he buy them like a normal person?
6. Does he own stock in Zephyr?
7. Does he like ANY of these teams?
TELL ME WHY, LEO, YOU SON OF A BITCH! AND DON'T YOU DARE SAY "JUST BECAUSE!"
So I decided to comb through thousands upon thousands of photos to see how Leo's strange college hat collection has evolved through the years to try and gain some insight or understanding.
1994: Colorado State University
2000: University of Pittsburgh
2004: California State University, Long Beach
2006: St. John's University
2006: University of California, Berkeley
2007: Florida State Seminoles
2008: Louisville Cardinals
2009: Arizona State Sun Devils
2009: University of Connecticut
2009: Virginia Commonwealth University
2009: UCLA Bruins
2009: University of Rhode Island
2009: California State University, Fullerton
2009: Michigan Wolverines
2009: Wichita State University
2009: Ohio State University
2009: Florida Atlantic University
2009: Washington State University
2009: Grambling State University
2010: University of California, Irvine
2010: University of South Carolina
2010: West Virginia Mountaineers
2011: Oregon State University
2011: Auburn University
2011: Rice University
2011: Xavier University
2011: Notre Dame Fighting Irish
2012: University of Miami
2013: Texas Tech University
2015: University of Michigan
2016: University of Iowa
What I learned after digging through thousands of Leonardo DiCaprio photos searching for pictures of him wearing college hats:
1. He likes to wear hats.
2. He prefers the brim of his fitted hats pre-curved.
3. He like to represent the California public college education system.
4. He could possibly like the Michigan Wolverines.
5. He might have supernatural powers to predict successful teams (e.g., VCU, Wichita State, and Auburn)
6. He likes black hats.
7. He likes blue hats.
8. Sometimes he likes green hats.
9. I wasted a fuck-ton of time searching for a reason that probably doesn't exist.
In light of Facebook user Bobby Tomlinson pointing out that former University of Rhode Island star Lamar Odom was a member of the 2009 Los Angeles Lakers, I changed the entry and adjusted the "Weird Level" for DiCaprio's URI hat.
Zephyr Hats reached out on Twitter to set the record straight and answer all of my questions regarding DiCaprio's mysterious hat collection.