1. The Russian ruble has lost nearly 50% of its value against the dollar this year — just 8% on Monday alone — thanks largely to falling oil prices. State-run media has struggled to explain the plunge. Enter the internet.
This person has taken 1,000-ruble and 5,000-ruble notes and rolled them up so the language reads, in loose translation, “WTF.”
2. This mock bill, called “the Sacral NewRuble,” plays on Vladimir Putin’s project of recreating “New Russia” through his meddling in east Ukraine. His regime has been hit with several rounds of U.S. and EU sanctions over Ukraine.
3. Get your “I believe in the ruble” T-shirt.
4. The ruble remains useful as toilet paper.
5. Here’s a euro mock-up with Putin, citing a previously high exchange rate with the euro last week, which has since shot up to 81 rubles. The Cyrillic writing says, “The euro is ours,” a play on a popular Russian saying that goes “Crimea is ours.”
6. The dollar is also “ours.”
7. This one makes fun of Putin’s recent claim that the ruble “just lost a little bit of value.”
8. Here’s a pic of the old exchange rate in front of a huge banner reading, “Our choice is Vladimir Putin.”
13. These designs riff on the ruble symbol.
14. A site called zenrus has popped up, showing calming pictures and playing soothing music as you watch the ruble dive.
16. This mock-up of a famous Soviet anti-alcoholism poster sees a man wave away offers of matches and canned meat while he feasts on dill pickles. “Crisis? What crisis?”
17. Here’s Putin manning a tank, presumably in Ukraine, running roughshod over the ruble.
18. This amazing cartoon tells the story of the ruble and a barrel of oil, via the plot of Titanic.
19. This one mocks the new symbol for the ruble, introduced last year, in which the second horizontal line juts out proud and erect. “It’s actually bigger — it’s just cold right now.”
20. “Look, I dropped a ruble down there.” “Let me down further, I can’t see the bottom!”
- More than two dozen people are in critical condition after a car crashed into a crowd at a Mardi Gras parade, New Orleans police say.
- President Trump said he will skip the White House correspondents' dinner. Yesterday, he called the media "the enemy of the people."
- Tom Perez has been named chair of the Democratic National Committee. He was Obama's Labor Secretary.
- Here's the beef: Rapper Remy Ma dragged Nicki Minaj in a new diss track, who fired back with a Beyoncé endorsement 😱