This is Jackie Chamoun, a Lebanese Olympic skier who sparked controversy this week after pictures of her posing barely clothed for a calendar in Austria three years ago surfaced online and ignited sharp criticism from the Lebanese media and government.
The country’s sports and youth minister, Faisal Karami, even asked the head of the Lebanese Olympic Committee to launch an investigation “to take the required steps to [avoid] harming Lebanon’s reputation and international participation.”
Then a call to #StripForJackie went out on Twitter and Facebook, sparking a series of memes that redefine the, uh, naked truth of the story.
9. Even Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, the head of the militant group Hezbollah, made an appearance (not really).
17. While much of the online response has focused on support for Chamoun, the Lebanese government and media have also been the subject of Internet ire for raising the story as a scandal at the start.
- More than 100 people are reportedly injured after a commuter train crashed into a New Jersey Transit station in Hoboken on Thursday morning.
- Fans of Donald Trump say Bill Clinton's past indiscretions are fair game at the next debate.
- Asos workers at the heart of its global retail empire say they're being treated like machines to deliver fast fashion.