This is Jackie Chamoun, a Lebanese Olympic skier who sparked controversy this week after pictures of her posing barely clothed for a calendar in Austria three years ago surfaced online and ignited sharp criticism from the Lebanese media and government.
The country’s sports and youth minister, Faisal Karami, even asked the head of the Lebanese Olympic Committee to launch an investigation “to take the required steps to [avoid] harming Lebanon’s reputation and international participation.”
Then a call to #StripForJackie went out on Twitter and Facebook, sparking a series of memes that redefine the, uh, naked truth of the story.
9. Even Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, the head of the militant group Hezbollah, made an appearance (not really).
17. While much of the online response has focused on support for Chamoun, the Lebanese government and media have also been the subject of Internet ire for raising the story as a scandal at the start.
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- A right-leaning nonprofit is planning to place news articles critical of Clinton in black newspapers ahead of the election 📰
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘