1. This is Ahmad Khomeini II, the great-grandson of Ayatollah Khomeini, the leader of Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution. Ahmad lives in Iran, where most access to social media is blocked. But he’s making his mark on Instagram nonetheless.
2. Many of his pictures are typical of Instagram, like this photo posted on Dec. 21 of a delicious food spread in honor of the December solstice.
3. Then there are some surprises. Here he is with two leading Iranian reformers — Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mohammad Khatami — in a picture he writes was taken four years ago today. He posted the same picture eight months ago too.
4. Then there’s this flattering photo of Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif posted last month. Zarif is considered a relative reformer, compared to the hardline faction that many ayatollahs belong to.
5. He also posted this photo (and many more) of Hassan Rouhani, Iran’s new president who is lauded as a pragmatic reformer.
6. Along with the new, there’s also some old. Here’s a photo of Ahmad’s father, Hassan Khomeini (left) sitting with his grandfather and namesake, Ahmad Khomeini, and two other men.
7. And here’s another undated one of Ahmad’s father and Khomeini.
8. It’s an unusual look into the intimate lives of some of Iran’s most powerful men. The caption of this photo says that it was taken at night at his grandfather’s house.
10. Some moments are solemn. Here is Ahmad visiting his great-grandfather’s shrine.
11. Like any good Instagrammer, Ahmad also shares a creative side.
14. At the end of the day, Instagram is Instagram. Here he is pictured with Iranian soccer star Pejman Jamshidi.
- Top legal scholars will be filing the 1st major lawsuit against President Donald Trump's alleged business conflicts on Monday.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure first-time marchers stick around ✊
- A mass grave in Mexico contained the remains of 56 people, many of whom went missing in 2010, authorities said Sunday.
- The New England Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again. They'll play the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈