1. This is Ahmad Khomeini II, the great-grandson of Ayatollah Khomeini, the leader of Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution. Ahmad lives in Iran, where most access to social media is blocked. But he's making his mark on Instagram nonetheless.
2. Many of his pictures are typical of Instagram, like this photo posted on Dec. 21 of a delicious food spread in honor of the December solstice.
3. Then there are some surprises. Here he is with two leading Iranian reformers — Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mohammad Khatami — in a picture he writes was taken four years ago today. He posted the same picture eight months ago too.
4. Then there's this flattering photo of Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif posted last month. Zarif is considered a relative reformer, compared to the hardline faction that many ayatollahs belong to.
5. He also posted this photo (and many more) of Hassan Rouhani, Iran's new president who is lauded as a pragmatic reformer.
6. Along with the new, there’s also some old. Here’s a photo of Ahmad's father, Hassan Khomeini (left) sitting with his grandfather and namesake, Ahmad Khomeini, and two other men.
7. And here's another undated one of Ahmad's father and Khomeini.
8. It's an unusual look into the intimate lives of some of Iran's most powerful men. The caption of this photo says that it was taken at night at his grandfather's house.
9. Sometimes, there are celebrations.
10. Some moments are solemn. Here is Ahmad visiting his great-grandfather's shrine.
11. Like any good Instagrammer, Ahmad also shares a creative side.
12. "A delicious lunch."
13. He also seems proud to follow his father on Twitter.
14. At the end of the day, Instagram is Instagram. Here he is pictured with Iranian soccer star Pejman Jamshidi.
15. There are a lot of photos of babies and family, but no selfies — at least, not yet.
Former BuzzFeed World Reporter, Current BuzzFeed News Contributor
Contact Miriam Berger at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.