1. Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko met face-to-face in Minsk, Belarus, on Tuesday, in the pair’s first bilateral meeting to discuss the bloody fighting in eastern Ukraine that has gripped the region since June.
Putin (left), Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko (center), and Poroshenko.
3. Putin, on the other hand, spent his opening remarks largely focusing on trade, according to NBC.
Putin also told his counterpart that the current standoff in east Ukraine could not be solved without including representatives of Ukraine’s Russian-speaking east. Ukraine has accused Russia of supporting pro-Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine in part to destabilize Poroshenko’s recently elected government.
4. Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev and European Union Vice President Catherine Ashton also attended the much-hyped meeting.
5. The Ukraine crisis has left more than 2,000 dead, displaced over 300,000 people, and threatened to ignite the region in the biggest conflict since the Cold War, with the U.S. and Europe siding with Ukraine against an ever-expansionist Russia.
6. Then came the day’s big event — the handshake.
7. Yep. That look happened.
- Donald Trump just announced he will "totally accept" the election results….if he wins.