3. “Above all, do we have the enforcement agencies. It is very easy to say. If you can’t enforce it, it’s: if you can’t prevent rape, enjoy it.”
5. There was an immediate outpouring of rage at Sinha’s logic.
Shame on you, Ranjit Sinha, Head of the Central Bureau of Investigation http://t.co/Y7uBVpmSZq ..YOUR JOB is to prevent rape
When CBI *chief* #RanjitSinha says ‘enjoy rape’, is it any wonder men act with impunity and women feel insecure? Despicable.
By trivialising the word ‘#rape’, we endanger all women. Ranjit Sinha should know that. http://t.co/k78lJj5Y8d
Outrageous ‘rape’ remarks: Ranjit Sinha joins the insensitive bandwagon - Hindustan Times http://t.co/E6fM9vWdu0
10. In this video of yesterday’s panel, Sinha does not appear fazed after making the initial rape comparison.
11. But context included, activists say Sinha’s statement is particularly appalling because of his position of power at India’s FBI equivalent.
12. Government statistics estimate that 1 woman is raped every 20 minutes in India.
14. Activists say victim-blaming is part of the problem: The idea that the victim is to blame detracts responsibility from the police and politicians, like Sinha, with the authority to protect and punish.
In this satire that went viral in September, Indian actresses mock the claim that “It’s your fault.”
15. Sinha’s statement has reignited conversation about how to prevent rape in India and around the world — whether he likes it or not.
Ironically Ranjit Sinha can’t prevent trending worldwide, he has to enjoy it!
- #Brexit fallout: Markets around the world fell again Monday, and analysts expect the U.K. to enter a "mild recession" by early 2017.
- The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that abortion provider restrictions in Texas are unconstitutional.
- It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed. Ready for November? You can register right here 🇺🇸