4. South Sudanese officials said 10 key political figures had been arrested in response to the reported coup attempt. Machar remains on the run.
6. Hilde Johnson, the UN’s special representative to South Sudan, told the BBC that more than 12,000 civilians had sought shelter in UN facilities.
7. Amid the unrest, Sudanese officials closed the airport and imposed a curfew. The country’s communication networks are largely shut down.
Civilians take shelter at the United Nations compound.
8. The United States mission in Juba announced that it was evacuating nonessential personnel, and urged all U.S. citizens to leave.
U.S. Mission in Juba
(1/4) The Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens currently in #SouthSudan depart immediately…
U.S. Mission in Juba
We will provide information on evacuation options in the morning. We do not have further details on such options at this moment. #SouthSudan
10. South Sudan is the world’s youngest country. It became independent from Sudan in 2011 in a referendum intended to end decades of fighting. South Sudan is oil-rich, but continues to suffer from underdevelopment and ethnic and political divides.
11. In July, Kiir dismissed his entire cabinet, including Machar. The move was reportedly seen as an attempt to ease hostilities with Sudan, who disagreed with many of the South Sudanese cabinet members.
12. The UN has called for an end to hostilities. But many are concerned over what tomorrow may bring as South Sudan’s tensions continue to unfold.
Southern Sudanese People fought together as a nation for Independence. Why are leaders now depending on hate against each other?#southsudan
Terrible developments in South Sudan. Why do we have to be in the news always for the wrong reasons? #Africa #SouthSudan #Poverty
- Top Mexican soccer player Alan Pulido has been kidnapped outside of his hometown in Tamaulipas, a high-crime state.
- Young tech transplants in Seattle are finding home in the Elks Club, a fraternal order that's growing for the first time since 1976.
- Donald Trump mused on America's energy future in a North Dakota speech. Some of his vision just doesn't make sense.