Madrid’s 6,000 street sweepers and garbage collectors in public parks are on strike to protest layoffs and pay cuts. The strike started after private companies contracted by the city announced plans to cut salaries by 40 percent and to lay of more than 1,000 workers.
In #Madrid, rubbish collection strike 1 week and going strong. Unions reject jobs losses/pay cuts #Spain
3. The Guardian’s Spain correspondent has been reporting the story — via the pig leg dumped on his doorstep.
I support the right of Madrid street cleaners to strike so I am trying to be okay that is a pig’s leg on my doorstep
Day 6 of Madrid street cleaners’ strike and the pig’s leg in my road has moved again and attached itself to a bra
Day 7 of Madrid street cleaners’ strike. Rotting pig’s leg and bra are now enjoying the autumn sun. They seem happy
6. Others are less impressed.
7. This is not art.
This charming statue has suddenly become a little bit political. #madrid
9. “There are places you can’t walk because of the trash. The garbage strike continues in Madrid.”
“Hay sitios en los que no se puede caminar por la basura” http://t.co/AnITGpskx7 Sigue la huelga de limpieza a Madrid
Las calles de #Madrid llevan una semana llenas de basura y muchos organismos pà¾«licos desde la dictadura #franquista
11. At least the colors are nice?
12. Union leaders say they are not taking back to the streets soon.
14. The average salary of the effected workers ranges from 900 to 1,300 euros ($1,205 to 1,740 USD).
15. Some in Madrid, though, don’t seem to mind the rodents.
@peterwalker99 I’ll let you know when the rats take over the city. [Dear rats, if you’re reading this, I welcome you as our new overlords]
- It's Inauguration Day — Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States of America at 12 p.m. ET 🇺🇸
- One of the nation's top legal groups is seeking a wide array of records from four federal agencies to challenge Trump's potential business conflicts.
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- Gingers rejoice! A redhead emoji may be coming your way soon 🙌