5. In Belarus, clapping became a subversive act in 2010 and 2011 when police violently suppressed anti-government protests against (still-standing) authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko.
4. In Egypt, holding up four fingers (often in yellow) has become a symbol of support for ousted president Mohammed Morsi and opposition to the military’s July 2013 takeover.
2. These two fingers are the internationally recognized sign for peace — and a perpetual thorn for non-peace lovers in power.
- Turkey has become a magnet for violence. The country has suffered 434 terror attacks in the last year.
- Since Britain's vote to leave the EU, a series of xenophobic attacks against minority groups in public and online has stunned the country.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸