5. In Belarus, clapping became a subversive act in 2010 and 2011 when police violently suppressed anti-government protests against (still-standing) authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko.
4. In Egypt, holding up four fingers (often in yellow) has become a symbol of support for ousted president Mohammed Morsi and opposition to the military's July 2013 takeover.
3. In Thailand, this three-fingered salute can now get you arrested after the military took over (again) on May 22.
2. These two fingers are the internationally recognized sign for peace — and a perpetual thorn for non-peace lovers in power.
1. In China, dissident artist Ai Weiwei memorably turned the middle finger on the Chinese government and the repression surrounding the 2008 Beijing Olympic games.
Former BuzzFeed World Reporter, Current BuzzFeed News Contributor
Contact Miriam Berger at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.