This is French President Francois Hollande. As president, he hosts many foreign guests at the Élysée Palace. He is also meant to shake many hands. Often, however, he shakes no hands.
1. Here he is not shaking hands with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
2. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani? Also not shaking hands.
3. Here he is missing the mark with Croatian Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic.
4. Play it cool, Hollande. Play it cool.
5. Too slow.
6. Just a little to the right, a little lower, and shake.
7. Unfortunately, Holllande hasn’t had much luck with the ladies, either. Here he is not shaking the hand of Jutta Urpilainen, Finland’s finance minister.
8. Nor did he manage to shake the hand of Costa Rican President Laura Chinchilla.
9. #HandShakingProblems with South Korean President Park Geun-hye.
10. Here he is with his own prime minister, Jean-Marc Ayrault, almost shaking hands.
11. Then there was the time Hollande and Israeli President Shimon Peres tickled fingers. Yup.
12. Hollande’s handshaking gaffes do not just correlate with his time in Paris. Here he is in Slovenia, doing something we probably shouldn’t talk about again.
13. Here he is with Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk in Warsaw, doing what he does best — not shaking hands.
14. Action is hard to get at European Union headquarters in Brussels, too.
15. Handshakes aside, Hollande does have a lot on his hands. So political commentators probably shouldn’t read too much into this slight by UN peace envoy to Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, right?
This incredible phenomenon was discovered and documented by the Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant.
- Ex-London mayor Boris Johnson has dramatically ruled himself out of the race to be the next Conservative UK prime minister.
- The three suicide bombers behind Istanbul's airport attack were from Russia, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan, Turkish officials say.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸