Just across the street to the north of campus is the arts and entertainment district known as Fondren. Proclaimed as "Jackson's Hippest Neighborhood," Fondren is home to boutiques, art galleries, a popular music venue and (most importantly for our stomachs) Jackson's thriving restaurant scene.
* Student favorites include Millsaps alum Jeff Good's Sal and Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint for Italian fare, Rooster's for fried chicken and burgers, Babalu Tapas and Tacos for small plates and Latin fare, Pig & Pint for competition-style BBQ, the critically acclaimed Saltine Oyster Bar for seafood and Monday Ramen Nights, and Brent's for a throwback diner experience. Other favorites including Aladdin, Surin, Walker's, Campbell's Bakery, and La Brioche Patisserie.
* For vegetarians, Rainbow Co-op has options galore, including their own restaurant, High Noon Cafe, open Monday through Friday for lunch.
* Two coffee shops, Cups and Sneaky Beans, are enclaves for our students. Keep your student ID handy for discounts!
* Get familiar with Ardenland and the shows at Duling Hall. A wide variety of acts grace the stage each month. Recent acts including Carolina Chocolate Drops, Johnnyswim, Flaming Lips, Allen Stone and Moon Taxi.
* Don't miss Fondren's First Thursday, held the first Thursday of every month (except for January and February). A huge neighborhood street party, FFT hosts vendors, games and music while restaurants and shops stay open late. Follow them to keep up with each month's offerings.
* Learn more about the area at finditinfondren.com.