Jim Dowd, the MP for Lewisham, has invoked the wrath of Sheffield.
He implied in a speech to the Commons that Henderson’s Relish is a shallow knock off of Lea & Perrin’s Worcester Sauce - and Sheffield folk are NOT happy.
1. It’s Strong And Northern
Henderson’s is a family owned business. It’s been brewed in the Steel City for more than 100 years. The factory sits right next to the University campus, so lucky students are treated to a delicious, spicy, savoury smell wafting over them as they study. It’s amazing.
3. It will improve absolutely any meal
You’ll find it behind the counter in every chippy in the city and on the tables of every café and bar. It’s commonly served on chips, mushy peas, beef, chicken, baked beans, fish, casseroles, soup, vegetables…even stir fry.
4. Here’s a video of David Blunkett MP adding it to his Shepherd’s Pie on Gordon Ramsay’s The F-Word
“It’s made in Sheffield, it’s vegetarian…and it’s BETTER!”
5. And here’s the time Ned Stark was literally unable to stop talking about the spicy goodness
7. It has inspired more truly great works of art than any other table condiment
The Arctic Monkeys, Richard Hawley and producer Toddla T all love the Relish so much they had their own special edition labels commissioned.
Hawley even launched his debut solo album by holding a free gig at the factory.
And the iconic bottle design and bright orange label has become the focus for countless painters, including Kid Acne and local cartoonist legend Pete McKee.
8. These guys wrote a SONG about it, for goodness sake
CAUTION: Contains a lot of strong, northern language.
11. It’s the one thing EVERYONE in Sheffield can basically agree on.
In a city divided by football, politics, wealth and deprivation - Sheffield is genuinely united in the belief that Hendo’s is the greatest substance in the universe.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!