21 Fascinating Facts People Learned By Watching Movies And TV Show
"I'm not wasting my time, mom! I'm learning!"
1. "I know how to spell 'difficulty' from the film Matilda. I still do the 'Mrs. D, Mrs. I, Mrs. FFI, Mrs. C, Mrs. U, Mrs. LTY!' thing to this day. 😂"
2. "I learned from Good Will Hunting that the Fields Medal is like the Nobel Prize for math. That question comes up all the time on Jeopardy!"
3. "During my medical training on rounds, I presented a patient who had an LVAD (left ventricular assist device). My attending asked me what an LVAD was and I gave the most beautiful description about how it is used as a bridge to heart transplant and my attending was super impressed. I never learned about an LVAD once in medical school — everything I said was from Grey's Anatomy."
4. "I learned from The Office to use the tempo from the Bee Gees' song 'Stayin’ Alive' when performing CPR."
5. "Animaniacs taught me all of the state capitals. I can still sing the song by heart!"
6. "The song 'Seasons of Love' from the movie and musical RENT taught me that there are 525,600 minutes in a year!"
7. "I learned from Hannah Montana that the human body has 206 bones."
8. "An episode of Family Guy taught me that the symbol & is called an ampersand."
9. "I learned the word 'conflagration' (meaning 'an extensive fire which destroys a great deal of land or property') from the 1992 musical Newsies. Oddly enough, it turned up on my SAT test senior year of high school!"
10. "Phineas and Ferb taught us the plastic part at the end of a shoelace is called an aglet."
11. "A group of jellyfish is called a smack, which I learned from Scorpion."
12. "I can thank Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman for telling me my foot is as big as the space between my elbow and wrist."
13. "Kitty litter can help you get your tires out of the snow. Thanks, That '70s Show!"
14. "I learned the five stages of grief from an episode of The Simpsons where Homer thinks he is going to die and quickly experiences denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance."
15. "I learned that thing about how penguins stay with their mate their whole life from Never Been Kissed."
16. "Legally Blonde taught me that if you get a perm, you are forbidden to wet your hair for at least 24 hours at the risk of deactivating the ammonium thioglycolate."
17. "I learned to recite all the English monarchs in order starting from William the Conqueror thanks to 'The Monarchs' Song' from Horrible Histories."
18. "Mr. Feeny on Boy Meets World taught me that Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press, making the written word available to the masses."
19. "South Park taught me what gluten is."
20. "I learned the difference between a simile and a metaphor thanks to Danny DeVito in Renaissance Man."
21. "Does Hamilton count? I learned all about, like, the American Revolution and the formation of America from that."
Learn something from movies/TV that didn't make this list? Tell us in the comments!
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.