16 Things People Did On Dates That Were So, So Awkward
Warning: This post may make you never want to date again.
1. "I put my shoes on in the dark and showed up in two different pairs."
2. "It was supposed to be a quick first date — just a light hike to check out the super bloom — but I fell about 20 minutes in, breaking my ankle in three places. When we called for help, they sent a helicopter and I ended up getting flown out. Nothing like a first date ending in the hospital!"
3. "My date went in for a hug and I ended up jumping and wrapping my legs around him. His knees buckled and we both almost fell. To this day I still don’t understand why my first instinct was to jump and wrap my legs around him. So embarrassing."
4. "We were sitting in the car when he asked me what I was thinking about and I said, 'Harry Styles.'”
5. "I was on a second date with a guy, and we drove out to these woods near my apartment. After he parked the car, he looked at me and said, 'I have to tell you something.' For some reason, his saying that reminded me of the Thriller music video where Michael Jackson parks in the woods with his date. I immediately blurted out 'Are you a werewolf?'"
6. "My date asked me to get some coffee before we went to see a movie and I told him 'coffee gives me diarrhea.' I instantly realized what I’d said and knew I couldn’t backpedal."
7. "I was on a first date where it was like my date didn’t know how to speak. I had to start all the conversations. At one point, I couldn’t think of anything else to say. Above his head was a sign pointing to the salad bar, so I panicked and asked what his favorite salad dressing was. He said, 'Dry. I like my salad plain.' I asked for the check and left."
8. "I was on a date with a guy at a bar when a girl I knew approached me. I went to introduce her to my date but I completely forgot his name. I stood there pointing at him not able to think of a name as he stared at me, completely knowing what was happening."
"She finally left after what seemed like ages and he never addressed it. Needless to say, there was no second date."
9. "I told my date in the middle of watching a movie in a movie theater that I forgot I was grounded and had to go home. Still feel bad about it 16 years later."
10. "I went on a date to a teppanyaki restaurant where they cook the food in the middle of the table. There was a giant flame at one point and my date started going nuts, saying the flame had burned my eyebrows off. I ran to the bathroom to check and nope, they were the eyebrows I came in with. Man, over-plucking in the '90s was a bad idea on so many levels!"
11. "I was once set up by my grandma with a guy from her church. Turned out it wasn’t just a blind date, it was a double date. With my grandparents."
12. "I went on a first date with a guy I'd met on Tinder and we were talking about tattoos. He explained that the one on his arm was his last name. To which I replied, 'What, in case you forget it?' Needless to say, there was no second date."
13. "This guy and I were sitting in a booth at a bar. I felt like we were totally hitting it off, so, after he'd told me something endearing, I decided to lean over the table and kiss him. Knocked both our beers into his lap. We never spoke again."
14. "I once took a blind date to see The Passion of the Christ. Yeah, not a really great date movie."
15. "I was on a third date at a pub where we had some appetizers and drinks. Afterwards, he walked me back to my hotel, where we stood awkwardly at the lobby doors as I waited for him to kiss me. We ended up just having an awkward hug and I was kind of disappointed."
16. "I went on an art gallery date with this pretentious guy who was 40 minutes late and explained the whole thing to me. Afterwards, he asked me if I wanted to go to lunch. I told him I had to meet my mom, so he walked me to my car — which I couldn’t find for two hours because I'd lost it in the parking lot. So, so, so awkward."
Did you have an awkward moment on a date? Let us know in the comments below!
Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.