1. The 15-year-old sole survivor of a shooting that left her parents and four siblings dead inside their suburban Houston home thanked the community for their support at a memorial event Saturday, just three days after she was also shot in the head.
2. Cassidy Stay told the large crowd gathered at Lemm Elementary School in Spring, Texas that she’s comforted knowing her parents, two brothers and two sisters are “in a much better place, and that I’ll be able to see them again one day.”
3. After telling the crowd of more than 400 she’s a “big Harry Potter fan,” Cassidy said, “In ‘The Prisoner of Azkaban,’ Dumbledore says: ‘Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
4. Cassidy’s parents, Stephen and Katie, and four of her brothers and sisters, Brian, Emily, Rebecca and Zachery, were fatally shot. Her ex-uncle, Ronald Lee Haskell, has been charged with the murders. Cassidy said she survived by playing dead.
She then called 911 and identified Haskell, who was captured by police Wednesday night after a four-hour standoff. Haskell faces six charges of capital murder.
Cassidy Stay is comforted by one of the attendees at a memorial in Houston, TX on Saturday.
6. 600 balloons were released at the memorial — 100 for each victim who died.
- President Trump said he will skip the White House correspondents' dinner. Yesterday, he called the media "the enemy of the people."
- Tom Perez has been named chair of the Democratic National Committee. He was Obama's Labor Secretary.
- Churches across the US are prepping an underground railroad system for immigrants who fear deportation under Trump.
- Here's the beef: Rapper Remy Ma dragged Nicki Minaj in a new diss track, who fired back with a Beyoncé endorsement 😱