The Newtown, Connecticut Labor Day parade has been a town institution since 1962. It’s the largest parade in the state and features over two hours worth or marchers.
When parade organizers met in February, only two months after the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook elementary school, the group decided this year’s event would go off undeterred, and today, the annual celebration happened without the usual police sirens or musket fire, but with a strong showing of strength and resilience from the still recovering community.
Here at the Labor Day Parade in #Newtown. Getting things started w/ a massive flag walking down Main Street
8. The Newtown High School band marches in the parade with green flags for Sandy Hook elementary
- Donald Trump signed a sweeping executive order that dismantles many Obama era climate change regulations.
- The Republican chair of the House probe into Russia and Trump should step down after secretly meeting with a source at the White House, say top Democrats.
- The Scottish parliament has voted for an independence referendum that could result in Scotland leaving the UK.
- Facebook will start globally rolling out three features today on iOS and Android that strongly resemble Snapchat. They're called Camera, Direct, and Stories.