1. The single most iconic Seattle band of the ’90s will lead a class of mostly ’70s being ushered into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The induction ceremony will be on April 10, 2014 at Brooklyn, NY’s Barclays Center.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame rules state that a band or artist is eligible for induction 25 years after their debut album is released. Nirvana’s “Bleach” came out in 1989, making 2014 the first year the band is on the ballot.
2. Nirvana’s early induction into the Hall of Fame is unsurprising given the vast impact and influence the band had on the musical landscape in the early ’90s, prior to leader Kurt Cobain’s suicide in 1994.
The other members of Nirvana found more success after Cobain’s tragic passing. Drummer Dave Grohl went on to front the Foo Fighters and bassist Krist Novoselic got into politics.
For once… I’m speechless. From the basements, to the dingy clubs, to the broken down vans, to… the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I’d like to thank the committee not only for this induction, but also for recognizing Nirvana for what we were: pure rock and roll. Most of all, thank you to all of the fans that have supported rock and roll throughout the years, and to Kurt and Krist, without whom I would not be here today.
This is a great honor. Thank you to the people who nominated and voted for us. Thank you most of all to Kurt Cobain. And to everyone who’s kept Rock music going strong for 60 years and counting.
5. The 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class will be rounded out by Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt, Hall and Oates, Cat Stevens, the E Street Band, and — after 15 years of eligibility — KISS. KISS fans are really excited.
Man, it’s a happy day. KISS finally elected to Rock Hall of Fame. Shout it out f’n loud.
I cannot believe that the Rock Hall finally got their head out of their a**es and inducted KISS.
The Gods of thunder finally make the #rockhall2014 @KISSOnline was long overdue!
They’re finally putting Kiss in the R&R Hall of Fame. It’s about time. Criminal it’s taken this long.
- An American-Israeli teen has been arrested in Israel for bomb threats to Jewish community centers in the US, say the FBI.
- US Republicans worked into the morning trying to finalize a deal that'd allow their Obamacare replacement plan to pass in the House.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for the London attack through its news agency, calling the assailant its "soldier."
- A Russian former MP and Putin critic was shot and killed outside an upscale hotel in Ukraine Thursday.